Smartsheet Automation: Copy and Move Rows Limits

ConnorForm
ConnorForm ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 09/04/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello all, this might be long winded, so apologies!!!

My situation: I have a Smartsheet currently that holds all information for the current FY24 - Lets call it Sheet A. Coming in October, this information needs to archived off of this sheet to lets say sheet B so then Sheet A is blank and can intake FY25 information.

I would like to set up an automation to copy and or move everything from Sheet A to Sheet B one a certain date hits. However Sheet A currently has 10,000+ rows and I keep getting an error when trying to test as I think I am hitting a row or cell limit error by chance? Is that the case?

I was also thinking of somehow grouping these to make the automation send them in batches to avoid some kind of limit but now sure a good grouping formula by row but was thinking of grouping them 1-500 or 1-1000. I do not think SS has an "INT" or "Row" Function so curious if there was a different formula to help with that

I also tried to export sheet A into an excel and then importing into sheet B as an attachment but I am thinking the size and all of the rows are timing out my Smartsheet for it not to work.

Answers

• Corey W.
    Corey W. ✭✭✭✭

I have used automation to move large numbers of rows but only around 5 thousand. In those cases I didn't have any issues.

For your grouping question. The first thing that comes to mind are the ISODD or ISEVEN functions. You could use one of them to halve the work.

• Toufong Vang
    Toufong Vang ✭✭✭✭✭

An option is to create a workflow automation that runs at the end of the fiscal year (or at midnight of the new fiscal year). Configure the automation move all rows to the "archive" sheet, e.g., FY24-Archive, FY25-Archive, FY26-Archive, and so on.

Bear in mind, too, that you have a limit of 20,000 rows per sheet.