Round Robin

Moruza
Moruza ✭✭✭
edited 09/10/24 in Resource Management

We are trying to do a round robin for tickets that are submitted into our group.

1. Ticket Submission and Initial Status:
    • Ticket submitted via form
    • Ticket number assigned
    • Status goes from blank to submitted
    • Boss gets notified
    • Boss approves
  2. Transition to Pending:
    • Status moves to pending
    • Ticket goes to next person (e.g., John)
  3. Round Robin Handling:
    • (John) Accepts or declines
      • If John accepts, he works on the ticket
      • If John declines, it goes to the next person (e.g., Jane)
  4. Cycle Continues:
    • Jane accepts or declines
    • The process continues as needed

Issue:

• If John is available and a new ticket is submitted after John has closed out a previous ticket, the ticket ends up going back to John due to the round robin setup.

How we would like it to work:

1. Dynamic Assignment:
    1. Use a dynamic assignment system that rotates through the team members based on their availability rather than strictly following the round robin. This way, if someone like John finishes a ticket and is available, the system will assign the new ticket to the next person in line who is available.
  2. Rule:
    1. Review and possibly update the workflow rules to better handle scenarios where a person finishes their task and a new ticket comes in, ensuring the ticket assignment is balanced.

Does this make sense and is it possible?

Answers

• Adam Murphy
    Adam Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would create a helper sheet with a name column and a count column. I would list all the assignees in the name column, and I would use a COUNTIF formula in the count column with cross-sheet reference to the main sheet's Assigned column (countif({assigned}, name@row). Then in the main sheet Assigned column, i'd use index/collect to pull back the assignee with the fewest assigned count (MIN formula helps) and take the first match. As new request comes in, the assignee will be first person in list, whose count goes to 1, then next one comes in and goes to next lowest, who goes to 1, and so on. Would that work?

• Moruza
    Moruza ✭✭✭

That sounds like a great way to do it!

Let me know if I am following you correctly…

Once I create the helper sheet, I create a column on the main sheet named "Assignment order" so that the workflow looks at the Assignment order column on my main sheet for assignment?