Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Issue (or task) list, associated with a project

Options
ysuzuki
ysuzuki
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

How do you guys manage issues for a project? I'm wondering a way to attach (or associated) a issue (could be task) list at a project sheet level. 

Thanks!

Comments

• Marcus Odum
    Marcus Odum ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have a folder for each project. The folder contains the following:

1. Project schedule
    2. Issue Log
    3. Risk Register (can move to the issue log if the trigger date has been eclipsed.)
    4. Sight (Dashboard)

The top 3 items roll into the Sight with links to reports detailing pertinent information (tasks at risk, aging issues, etc.)

Alternatively, you can link the issue log in the sheet. (For example: Create a top level row called issues, and then link that cell to your issue log.)

• ysuzuki
    Options

Hi Marcus, thank you for your idea. As I'm still new to Smartsheet, could you please elaborate what you mean issue "log?" Is it a sheet that has issues? 

My usecase is pretty similar as yours. I want to show top 3 issues and risks on dashboard (Sight) eventually. 

• Mike Andreas
    Options

Good thread.  Can I extend the question by asking how people manage actions within a project using Smartsheet, particularly "detailed" ones?  Do you surgically add them directly into the project schedule, defining predecessors for each?  This can make for a messy schedule, but possibly also a very realistic schedule.  This would likely introduce the need for a second project schedule, that is a 10 row rollup/summary of the detailed schedule for reporting and presentation purposes.  I am on the fence between doing this and having an independent Action Log.

In the end, I would like to optimize the relationship among Issues, Risks, Actions, and Tasks for the sake of making Smartsheet tabs as user-friendly as possible.

• Andrew Gross
    Andrew Gross ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Mike,

Sounds like you are looking for a unified theory of project management.   I think that is a white whale of sorts.

Did you ever find or establish what you were looking for?

AEG 

This discussion has been closed.