Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Locking columns but allowing form submissions, comments and attachments

grant.klein
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hi,

I have a sheet I'd like to share with others, but not have them be able to directly edit the info in the columns. Instead, I'd like them to use the comments as well as use a form to submit requests. The form fields would correspond to the columns in the sheet and their submissions would appear at the bottom of the sheet. I'd then vet those requests and add them to the above rows, edit, or delete as necessary.

As I understand it, you can't include locked columns in a form. Is there a workaround or a better way for me to manage my users' permissions to achieve this or a similar outcome?

Thanks, Grant

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/27/17

Hi Grant,

One way to accomplish this is to make an identical copy of the sheet and then move the rows to the the master sheet.

Another way.

Maybe duplicate columns that's unlocked and in the form and then move that information to the locked one. 

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I see no reason for locked columns to be excluded from a Form. I know that the API gets picky about locked cells, so this is definitely a design choice ... but since Admin's and Owners are required to MAKE a form, and they can EDIT a locked cell, why can't they make the choice to build a form that adds a new row for anyone to add data too?

Just sayin'

Craig

This discussion has been closed.