Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Conditional Formatting

bin_bash
bin_bash
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hello,

Is it possible to apply conditional formatting only in specified rows or does it only apply to the whole sheet? 

My example is as follows:

I am currently tracking production on 20 units. For the first 5 units I do not care if the duration of a planned task exceeds its target. However for the next 15 units, I do want to make a visual cue through conditional formatting that will flag the Actual row for a unit, if it duration has exceed the target or planned duration. 

However when I make the rule I do not see where I can specify that this rule only applies to row 85 for example. 

Thanks for any information that you can provide. 

Best regards, 

bin_bash

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

bin_bash,

There is no way to designate rows in Conditional Formatting as you describe. It would be a nightmare to implement, I imagine because of the sort and filtering features. 

That said, you can force the functionality you want by adding a checkbox column, name it something like "Hide CF" and check the first 5 rows.

Then, in Conditional Formatting, add a condition to your existing rule (dropdown "Add Condition (AND)")

and  select "Hide CF" is unchecked to your rule.

I hope that helps.

Craig

• Jason Anderson
    edited 10/24/17

I'm not sure if this would do what you're  looking for but I've created a scheme that I use to auto color code rows based on their parents. It allows inserted rows to gain the conditional formatting and updates the colors when moved around the nesting. 

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=a0123120a0b747aebd8162322e85f01d

Near the bottom of the sheet, starting with "Coding for smart auto formatting - Scope Phase".

chrome_2017-10-24_09-14-43.png

This discussion has been closed.