Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Enhancement Request: Allow Row Number retrievable from formula

J. Craig Williams
J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I thought I had written an enhancement request for this before, but I have no record of it.

I'd like to be able to retrieve the row number (not the ID, the number) using a formula.

Some use cases:

In this thread (https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/finding-duplicates) Joel talks about having to sort prior to checking for duplicates. If we could reference the row number, then a simple MIN() addition could be used to flag the earliest (assuming new rows entered at the bottom) of the duplicates.

Creating a set of formulas to determine if a row is a successor would be easier and more complete with this functionality.

When linking sheets, I could pass the row number where the data resides to the other sheet (for troubleshooting or categorization)

A simple SystemID column type for row number (not auto-number -- as sorting will change "my row") would likely suffice but if just pulling the row number without displaying it would work easier, I could live with that.

This request has also be posted to the Form

Craig

Comments

This discussion has been closed.