Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Editing Conditional Formatting Rules

Options
ogonzalez
ogonzalez ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hi,

Is there any way to edit the rules in conditional formatting? For example, if I have a rule that has 10 conditions, is there any way to go into the rule and delete one of the conditions? 

Example:

If column 1 is 'yes' and column 2 is 'in the past' and column 3 is 'blank' and column 4 is 'not blank', and i wanted to change it to 

If column 1 is 'yes' and column 2 is 'in the past' and column 4 is 'not blank', removing the column 3 rule. 

The only thing it allows me to do is adjust the rule but not delete it. i.e. change it to 'not blank' from 'blank' or whatever. 

Thanks for any insight. 

Oscar

Comments

• Pam Alakai
    Pam Alakai Employee
    edited 11/08/17
    Options

Hello Oscar, 

Certainly! You can delete the specific criteria within the conditional formatting rule. To do that, Hover over the criteria, the criteria will be highlighted blue and the x icon will appear on the far right like in the screenshot below. Click on it to remove the criteria. 

Kind Regards 

Pam 

Smartsheet Support 

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 3.52.44 PM.png

• StacyDe
    StacyDe ✭✭
    edited 04/24/18
    Options

This did not solve this question for me. I have a rule that has about 10 conditions. I want to completey remove one. Right now it's like "if column1 is unchecked, and column2 is unchecked, and column3 is unchecked apply this format..." I want to remove the check on column3. if I click on the condition I can then click on the "define custom criteria" link so I can see the "x" mentioned in the previous comment.  However when I click the x to remove it then click ok I'm given a warning that I have to select at least one value for the condition. How do I just remove that whole condition?

2018-04-24_10-50-04.png

• glotzbach
    Options

Same issue here. I cannot delete a condition, only add. Seems we're forced to delete the rule and re-add conditions to make a simple change to the rule.

• hanseric
    hanseric ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, exactly! I have the same precise problem. I have an "and" condition in my Conditional Formatting and I just want to remove that one condition.

It's looking like the rule might have to be recreated from scratch, is that right?

• arkitektur
    Options

the same with me - please provide the delete function so we dont have to start from scratch, thx

• tdladmin92356
    Options

Two years later, I'm still having this problem.  Is it entirely impossible to delete a single condition from a rule without remaking the entire rule from scratch?  Did someone genuinely think that was a good idea?  Having thought that, did someone genuinely not think it might be a good idea to work on that at any point in the last two years?

• Shawn Connelly
    Options

Same issue here. I'm guessing there's no solution since no one from Smartsheet is responding to this thread and we'll just have to submit an enhancement request.

This discussion has been closed.