Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Feature Request: Static formula's for a column

Options

Comments

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

+1 for being able to apply a formula to an entire column. I have found these results inconsistent as well - perhaps someone goes in and manually enters, then deletes data without deleting the row etc. It's not feasible for me to keep checking and re-checking to see if the formula is applying to the next rows/web form submissions. I just want it to apply without my future input!!!!!

• Ian Mirfin
    Options

I just read through this thread looking for something else.

This is still an issue for us. any time we sort the data or use the datasheet to do manual entry this often disrupts the formula due to all the additional blank rows the system always seems to add at the bottom of the sheet.

It usually happens when a user then uses the web form to enter data and for some strange reason it then leaves blank lines between the last entry and the new entry from the webform.

Just seen Jeremy Myers Suggestion this would be a great idea!

• Jens F
    Options

big +1 from me

->  formula at the "column header" level would add a great value to smartsheet

• G Santiago
    edited 03/22/17
    Options

I want to add my vote to this feature.

I am currently having issues with keeping the formulas because there seems to be a problem with the web form entries. After reaching some point of around 80 entries, the web form entries now appears with 10 rows or 20 rows gap in between therefore not being able to inherit the formula from previous rows. I can't stop the gaps from coming so everytime I have to check the sheet every 20 minutes as we use the web form for our recruitment process, and applications comes in all the time. It screws up the dashboarding as well that we have connected to smartsheet via smartsheet apps.

Is there any solution to gaps or the formula issue?

• Misha Starobin
    Options

Add my vote to inputting a formula in the column header.

• MelG
    MelG ✭✭✭
    Options

+1 vote for being able to apply formulas at the column level. Users keep deleting formulas in rows accidentally and it is frustrating. 

• PhilippeP
    Options

I'm also looking for this feature, can we have an update on the progress ?

Thanks !

• Colin Janssen
    Options

Add me in too. If we could add a new Column type of Formula where you added that formula in at that level it would solve the problem. Issue if primarily people deleting the formula's.

• Dan Kary
    Options

+1 for column-level formula. The auto-fill feature is nice, but it is too easy for a user to accidentally skip a row.

Not all users are going to know how to ensure formula consistency, so it requires someone to babysit the sheet. A static whole column formula would solve the issue.

• DwideSchrute
    Options

+1 for column-level formula. 

• Long@Concur
    Options

+1 for this feature.  Is there an ETA for this?  Or a reliable work-around?  The "Auto-filling Formulas and Formatting" does not work reliably as others have noted.  Thanks!

• Nicole Stewart
    Options

+1 for formulas at the column header level!  It's a drag having to constantly copy my formulas. 

• Martin G
    Options

Hi,

I am also having problem with the fact that there are always new empty rows added at the bottom of my sheets. These rows do not have the formulas added as it should do and they don't seems to be affected by the conditional formatting rules neither. For my experience, these are not related to web form usage as I don't have the feature. The undesired empty lines are added at the bottom of the sheets each time I leave a sheet, even if I am deleting it. It is annoying.

The possibility to add formulas at the column level would be great!

Any development on this suggestion?

Thanks!

• Pedro Cuberos, PMP
    Options

Hi,

I'm also facing the same issue. Please add my vote to this enhancement. 

• EcoPartnering
    Options

I see this is an old post but I am having consistency issues with the "Auto-Fill" feature too.  I am constantly having to monitor all the issues it creates when it does not work.  I vote this gets fixed too, pretty please.

This discussion has been closed.