Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

copy rows with formula's

Options
John Bandy
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

When I copy a row from one sheet to another sheet; all the formula's in the cells are replaced with values in the target sheet. So my formulas are gone in the new row that appears to the target sheet. Is there a way to have the formulas copy over in the row so they are intact in the target sheet?

Comments

• SashaR
    Options

formulas are specific to each sheet (row/column references are different across sheets) which is why they are not copied over. If you want to copy the exact formula, you could double click in the cell containing the formula, copy the formula, then paste it in the new cell. 

• John Bandy
    Options

Ok, maybe there are other ways to accomplish my goals. So, I have a sheet that has a whole lot of formulas; I would like to save that as a template for people to use and have people create sheets based on the template. The team needs to be able to move a copy rows between other team members sheets, but the formulas are stripped everytime, even though the columns are identical. It doesn't work well for them to share the same sheet, because they are always being updated and you get refresh and other concurrency issues. Any ideas how this could be done?

• SashaR
    Options

There wont be a way to include formulas when moving rows between sheets but I have a couple ideas.Smile

If the formulas are identical across your sheets then once the row is moved, you could drag fill the formula down from the row directly above the moved row. This is an extra step but would only take a couple seconds. 

My other idea is to use reports (may or may not work depending on your processes and how your sheets are set up). Instead of moving rows between sheets, each team member can have their own sheet but use reports to bring in rows from everyones sheets into a single location. Each team member could have their own report or they could share. Reports are editable and easily modified so it pulls in the exact rows you are looking for. More on reports from the help center: http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/522214-creating-reports

This discussion has been closed.