Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Drop down menu in one box only

Options
iclausen
iclausen
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I have a housekeeping template for 150 different properties, and I want a drop down list on the top left corner in order to identify the property when it is checked.  Can that be done for just one cell?

Tags:

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

Can you explain it in more detail because i'm not sure what you need.

You can also share the sheet if that helps to explain your scenario.

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Chris McKay
    Chris McKay ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi iclausen,

If what I understand is correct, you are looking to add a dropdown list to one cell only (e.g. top left cell) and have the rest of the cells in the sheet act as regular text/number cells.

If this is the case, then I'm sorry to say that Smartsheet does not support per cell formatting, meaning you will have to designate a whole column as a Dropdown List.

To make things more complicated, the whole column must also share a common list of Dropdown options and those options must be manually defined in the Column Type dialog, so your 150 properties are going to require a relatively high degree of maintenance.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

However, you can still enter "other" text in the other cells. Smartsheet's drop-down column can hold other text than just the drop-down options as long as you don't restrict the cell's data.  Be sure to leave the checkbox - unchecked. 

2017-11-27_09-15-45.jpg

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

This might help you!

Here is a workaround that gives you the possibility to use lists of information and choose from that list inside a sheet (doesn't work with mobile, only desktop)

I'm utilizing cell-linking for this workaround. The main sheet is linked to the dropdown/list sheet.

Please see the attached link/screenshot for more information.

Example of dropdown/list

I hope this can be helpful for you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Julie N.
    Options

Hi Andree, would you mind explaining how you created this workaround. How do you get the double click to select functionality?

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Julie,

1. Create a new spreadsheet with your list of information in the primary column. I usually add some top-level choice like (Double Click to Select) so it triggers others to do something with that cell. 
    2. Delete all extraneous columns so only the column with the selection options appears. 
    3. Save and Exit. 
    4. Go to the spreadsheet where you want that pseudo dropdown to appear.
    5. Right-Click on the cell and choose Link to cell from other sheet. 
    6. Load the new dropdown sheet you created. 
    7. Select the Top-level choice (or one of your choosing)
    8. Select Create Link to link the data. 

Now when you double click on that cell it will pop up and show you the list to select from. 

• Julie N.
    Options

Thanks, Mike. Let me explain what I'm trying to do and see if you might be able to offer a suggestion on how to approach.

1. I have two smartsheets where user input is gathered via a form.

2. First users input to form1 which populates smartsheet1.

3. Then users input form2 which populates smartsheet2.

4. As users complete form2 one of the fields allows users to choose selections from one of the columns on smartsheet1. 

I'm unable to figure out how to achieve step 4. Basically, I'm looking to have a dynamic drop-down for smartsheet2 that's dependent on user-generated dynamic data in smartsheet1.

Any insights greatly appreciated.

Best,

Julie

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ah, I see. I am not sure that Smartsheet can do that. You can create the double click choose an option in a Smartsheet but it's not transferrable to a form it has to be done in the sheet itself. Perhaps someone else in the community might know of another way. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Happy to help!

I saw that Mike answered already!

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Best,

Andrée

• Julie N.
    Options

Thanks, Mike and Andree. Too bad that functionality doesn't exist. But appreciate the engagement. Have a great day!

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Absolutely. You're welcome. Good luck! 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/19/19
    Options

Happy to help!

It's possible thru the Smartsheet API, but to have it as a feature natively would be powerful.

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

This discussion has been closed.