Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Automated update request.

Rene Lohpehre
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Is it possible to send automated update request on a specified date (column date)?

I'm missing the function where, an automated update request is send on the date of a deadline.

Comments

• Robert S.
    Robert S. Employee

Hello Rene,

Thanks for the question. This can be accomplished by creating a checkbox column and filling it with a formula to have it automatically checked based on the date in your deadline date column, and then you can have the update request triggered by this box being checked. The formula for this would look something like this:

=IF([Deadline Date]@row = TODAY(), 1)

When the sheet is opened, this formula will run and check the box for every row that the date in the "Deadline Date" column is the same as the current date. If your Update Request is set to send right away, any rows that are checked will trigger the Update Request for that row to send out. If you'd prefer your Update Requests to send out once a day, this setting will send the Update Request between 12AM and 4AM. In this case, the formula above will need to be slightly changed. The formula for this would look something like this:

=IF([Deadline Date]@row = TODAY(1), 1)

This checks the box a day before the previous formula would, so that the once a day Update Request will send on the day in the "Deadline Date" column. Once this is set up and working how you'd like, you can then hide the checkbox column if you'd like to not see it.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's also important to note that you want to set up the Update request from the Alerts & Actions tab at the bottom of your sheet. Do be aware that it is a feature that is only available to Business level users or higher. See screenshot below: 

AlertsandActions.jpg

• Depending on our sheet size, you will need alot of columns, but it works perfect, thank you.

• James G.
    James G.
    edited 05/25/18

@Robert S., or anyone who can answer, does this mean the sheet only calculates and sends the reminder when opened? The bit about "When the sheet is opened, this formula will run..." sounds like unless the sheet is opened, the formula will not check the box or send the update.

I'm receiving tasks through a web form and I'm looking to send an update request to an email 7 days after the task is submit if a checkbox completed column isn't checked. The above sounds like it would work assuming I don't have to open the sheet daily. It's a sheet I only plan to open once or twice a month for maintenance.

-JG

• Erin G.
    Erin G. ✭✭

I am trying to accomplish something similar. I want an update request to send when today's date is today (using column that is every Monday for FY19). I'm using the TODAY function to accomplish this but always have to open the sheet for it to send. Confirmation from Smartsheet support that TODAY function will only populate once you open the sheet.

Now looking for other ways to accomplish this goal if anyone has figured out a solution? 

This discussion has been closed.