Merging Cells and Exporting Reports to PDF via the App

Options
Chase Arthur
Chase Arthur ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hi there,

I love Shartsheet, but one constant aggravation for me is the inability to merge cells. In my quest for a solution, I've come across a few posts on the blog (some as old as 2015) where similar requests were answered with a generic  "we'll pass this along to our developers" type response.

Just curious: is this something that we'll actually see in the future?  :)

Also, when using the app, I have the option to export a sheet to an Excel or PDF document. When I'm viewing a report/dashboard, I only have the option to export to Excel. Is there a secret to exporting the reports to PDF via mobile?

Thanks!

Chase

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Chase,

Smartsheet relies on separated cells/columns that store different data types. Due to the way Smartsheet features have been developed, a merge cell feature is a difficult endeavor.

On exporting: there isn't a secret, currently exporting reports to PDF isn't supported. Our Product team is working on adding this functionality to the mobile apps in the future, although I don't have an ETA for when you'd see this in the app. In the mean time, use the computer browser version of Smartsheet to export to PDF.

• Michelle Vonderau
    Options

Hi Chase, 

I've been requesting this and following the request threads for two years now! I tell everyone to log their request here: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form?EQBCT=739aa75f30ca43a8a22eb53e4da7d409&_ga=2.178226092.802454820.1548080163-1740343258.1514317179

The Smartsheet team is now using this form to navigate and plan feature requests. While I understand the architecture of Smartsheet wasn't initially built to support merging cell functionality, it would be nice to offer an alternative, such as masking cells with a text box or image.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!