Sheet Column References in Equations

Is there a way to convert a column reference to a number like you can in excel?  My problem is I'm to trying to input an equation that is a simple sum equation referenced to an input cell "x".  Whatever number is put in for "x", will add to the column length that sum equation is good for, however when I try to do this, I get the error back.  Right now I have: 

=SUM[PREV BILLINGS]2:[([JAN-18]2)+($Type$165)]2 

where the "Type165" references the number to input for "X".  "PREV BILLINGS" and "JAN-19" are current Column names.  Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Robert S.
    Robert S. Employee

Hello,

Thanks for the question. We don't currently have a way to convert a column reference to a number. I recommend using the "Submit Product Enhancement Request" link in the Quick Links section to the right, to submit your vote for this feature for future product development.

That being said, it's possible that there may be another way to do what you're looking to do, however I'm not sure I completely understand what that is. If you can provide some more detail on what you'd like, or even a screenshot to help illustrate what you're looking for, I'll be happy to take a look.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!