Auto Populating Report or Sheet with New Rows from Master Sheet

barryanderson
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello-

I'm trying to figure out how to automatically pull in new rows (either using cell linking or reporting) from one sheet, while having columns editable from another sheet.

For example, I have one sheet that is a master list of all projects in my organization.  We continually add new projects to this sheet.  Each project has a set of tasks that must be completed.  For various reasons, I cannot include these tasks on the main project sheet as columns.

What I would like to do is have a separate sheet or report (I don't care which), that will display all projects from the first sheet, then have subsequent columns like Task 1, Task 2, Task 3, that can be checked off when each is completed for a project.  This sheet / report must have the ability to pull in any new projects that get added to the master project list.

I've tried to do this with cell linking, but I cannot get new projects that are added to the master sheet to appear in the secondary sheet without setting up new links. 

I've also tried to do this with reporting by setting up a sheet that has each task listed as a separate column (Task 1, Task 2, etc.) and creating a report that combines my master project sheet with the task sheet.  I can get the task columns to appear in the report, but cannot edit them since these columns do not appear in the master project sheet.

I figure there has to be a way to do what I'm trying to do, but cannot figure out.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Barry, 

You can't add additional columns or fields in a report. If you add the checkboxes to your original sheet you can then filter data in the report to show only the columns you want, or the projects not complete or something like that. You could also add the checkbox columns in the original sheet and hide them, then only show them on the report.

There is also currently no way to automatically update a Smartsheet with data from another sheet. The only way to pull data from one sheet to another is by cell-linking which is a completely manual process. Sorry I don't have better news for you. 

• Giuseppe_Coccone
    edited 09/20/18

Hello Barry,

Zapier is going to possibly be your solution for this. Smartsheet does not currently have this feature internally but you can customize your work flow using zapier.

http://zapier.com/

Example: https://youtu.be/adyrvA-bZfs

Hope that helps!