Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Receiving "Invalid URL" When Attempting to Link Into a Share Drive Folder

Options

Comments

• Stefan 7k
    Options

2017 is near closing and still no progress.

Online sharing and cloud storage shure is a great addition to old school network storage. 

But, it should and must be an addition. Especially here in Europe there are a lot of companies which will never upload confidential date (regarding privacy or core company data etc.) to any kind of US cloud storage.

So Smartsheet, please allow local file links (no discussion about the benefits necessary) for your customers and for potential customers!

In addition, Smartsheet should seriously consider to provide a data center within Europe. Like Microsoft, Salesforce etc.........

Projektmanagement Professional in Frankfurt am Main, Germany

• Ben_H
    Options

I would also like to request the ability to link to internal network files and folders. I manage projects across several offices involving dozens of personnel all of whom work from the same shared network and need to access the same files. I'm working on trialing different project management programs for our company, and this is the major drawback for Smartsheet at the moment. If we can't access all of the critical work files from one portal, then we have difficulty getting people to use the software and they end up working from Excel spreadsheets on the network drive rather than from Smartsheet.

Thanks.

• Web Master
    Options

Here is the correct syntax to link to a local drive:  file://servername/share/folder

The problem is once the attachment is added in smartsheet and you click the link, it doesn't open file explorer location.  

Due to ACJIS requirements, we store certain files locally, and other files using SAAS.

Smartsheet, THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT NEEDS YOUR HELP SO we can maintain certain compliance requirements.

Please respond with your position on this request.  It has been 2 years since first requested.

Respectfully

• Dominik Weller
    Options

Since I don't think the developers will implement this feature any time soon, I found a workaround that's suitable for our company needs:

1. Create a shortcut (*.lnk) for your file / folder you want to open

2. Upload this shortcut as attachement to your project / desired row

3. Now you can open this attachement easily from Smartsheet

4. When asking which program to use for opening, you don't have to choose a program, just activate the "Open with" radio button and hit OK

5. The following notification can be suppressed with "Never ask me again"

(6. You can delete the local shortcut now)

It's just a workaround, but works well for us. At least better than having to navigate to the folder manually. Hope this will help some of you.

Greetings,

Dominik

• Stefan 7k
    Options

Great finding! Thank you for digging this.

This does not remove the requirement for Smartsheet to implement links to local files ;-)

Projektmanagement Professional in Frankfurt am Main, Germany

• amailloux
    Options

We also would like this function to work in order to Link directly to Bluebeam Files withing a project studio. They are currently popping up as "Invalid URL" 

Thank you

• wael
    Options

Strange that SmartSheet did not apply this requested feature.

Please add my vote to this request!

• wael
    Options

Hi Oliver! As a matter of fact, that is the desired experience! You have to be in the network to access these files.

Ultimately, even if you are considering the cloud shared folder option, with no permission you will have the exact outcome of not being able to access the file.

Allowing us to share files using our network permissions will help us a lot!

• John Hedstrom
    Options

Add my organization to the request list for being able to link to an internal network location. We do not want certain documents on cloud servers for security. Also adding local links will serve us well in some items we want to do with Dashboards.

• rollermover
    Options

I would like to echo others' sentiments here and request this functionality be added to SS. Cloud is not an option due to sensitive data.

Based off Dominick's instructions you can take it a step further to get a hyperlink with UNC text that actually links to the file.

1. Create a shortcut (*.lnk) for your file / folder you want to open

2. Upload this shortcut as an attachment to your project

3. Select the attachment by ticking the check box, then click the Actions dropdown and choose Send Selected Attachment

4. Copy the smartsheet url(https://app.smartsheet.com/b/download/att...) and click cancel

5. Right click the cell, click Hyperlink... and paste in the Link to URL and then type out the Display text as the UNC path(\\server\path\file)

I didn't see an easy way to pull the s3 link that downloads, but you can see it in curl.

• ahill
    ahill ✭✭✭
    Options

I would like to +1 this feature request too. As stated above, you can already navigate local directories natively using web browsers. Using smartsheet to link these shared company directories/files would be a huge help in many situations. 

For instance, we use Smartsheet for KPI tracking, but use a shared network directory for storing KPI data. Providing a link on the KPI sheet to the shared directory with the supporting data would be helpful.

• itsnotbroken
    itsnotbroken ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi rollermover,

I did try the shortcut as attachment workaround, but the download fails. All that happens is that smartsheet re-loads the page. Maybe that's our firewall not letting me download a link.

Plus one for adding this feature, but it sure looks like smartsheet is NOT reading their own forums. We are in the testing phase & this response does not look good.

Thanks,

• John S.
    John S.
    edited 07/04/18
    Options

Dominik,

Is this workaround still working for you? I just tried to test your method and the .ink file is downloading as a '.download' file and windows does not know how to open it.

Update: Found out that the method works in Internet Explorer, but not in Chrome. Chrome changes the file extension to .download.

Capture

Download Capture.PNG

• John S.
    Options

Just piling on...

I would also like to request that Smartsheet add the ability to link to local/network file and folders. This is incredibly important as many of your customers have IT policies against uploading confidential or sensitive information to cloud based services.

• zachs
    Options

+1 Would love the ability to hyperlink to shared network folders & files.

This discussion has been closed.