Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

URL to jump to a row in a sheet? Unique identifier for sheet-row combination?

Options
Stan Ward
Stan Ward ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

I am looking for a way to have a URL that will allow me to jump from an external source to a specific smartsheet row.  For example, if I were to have a Google Sheet which I was doing some calculations and I wanted to have a link corresponding to each row in a Smartsheet to let me click on that link and go directly to that row in a given Smartsheet sheet.

Another option, although vastly less useful for my purposes, would be to have a sheet-row combination unique identifier.   The only way, I can think to do this is with the Auto-Number for each row in every sheet.  Then in the external source I would need to track the sheet and unqiue number for the row and manually go to Smartsheet with the sheet and unique number in mind.

Thanks,

Stan

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

Stan, while there isnt a built in function to produce a URL that will bring you to a specific row, there is a workaround you can use to achieve this. 

Send yourself the row you want the URL for (right click on the row number and select Send Row). In the send row email, right click on the Login button and select Copy Link Address (wording may be different depending on your browser). The link you have copied will bring you directly to that row. Use that link as your hyperlink in Google Sheets. 

• Stan Ward
    Options

Thanks Travis.  That will be a one time use URL, right?

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

Nope, the send row URL will continue to work. Update requests have a single use URL, but the send row URL will not expire. 

• Stan Ward
    Options

Thanks Travis!  That's what I wanted.  I was not paying close enough attention to your original answer.  Right click the Login button... nice.  I hope that "feature" does not go away.  ;-)

-Stan

• System
    System Employee Admin
    Options

Hi Travis, sending a link to a row is exactly what I need to do as well. While the workaround works, it is not very convenient, especially in IBM Notes, where I cannot copy the URL.

Can you please add a "copy URL" to a contextual row menu?

Thanks

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

Marek, I will submit your suggestion to our product for consideration in future development! 

• Misha Starobin
    Options

Have there been any updates to this request. I could really use this feature and it seems that the functionality is already there, it would just be a matter of adding that as an option in the dropdown menu when you right click on a row.

If you could make that happen that would be awesome.

Thanks

Misha

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Misha,

I've got your vote down on our enhancement request list to make this URL more readily available to copy/paste or send to someone. In the mean time, you'll need to use the workaround that Travis detailed above to get the URL.

• sdkotes12901
    Options

Shaine:

I have sheets containing "sub-projects. I reference these sub-projects in a master project portfolio document.

URL by row would be soooooooo much quicker than having to send the email to yourself.

Please put my vote down too.  Thank you.

Sandy

• Ben Moschel
    Options

Hi Shaine,

Below are two different unique parts of URLs that I grabbed after sending myself two different rows in a Smartsheet.

/s/dqKYBrIGGE8aC8?

/s/ANorBGcMMdKoF9?

How can I access the BOLDED sections in particular programmatically? I know it is possible to capture rowIDs via the API, but these unique parts of the URL string do not seem to be rowIDs.

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Ben,

You're correct, these are not row IDs—In the API, there isn't a way to grab the hashed URLs that Smartsheet generates. You'll want to rely on the row ID and row object when developing in the API: https://smartsheet-platform.github.io/api-docs/#row-object

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

I have a workaround that might help. 

1. Create a Table of content section in the sheet (at the top)
    2. Create a new column (Count)
    3. Use the following formula in the Count column.

=1 + 0 (Copy down the whole sheet)
    4. Create a new column (RowID)
    5. Use the following formula in the RowID column, cell 1.  =COUNT(Count$1:Count@row) (Copy down the whole sheet)
    6. Create a new column (Row)
    7. Use the following formula in the Row column.

="CTRL/CMD+G " + RowID@row
    8. Link the different sections of the sheet to the ToC in the at the top with the following formula. =Row16 (for row 16)
    9. Try it by pressing the CTRL/CMD + G combination and type the number from the ToC section that you want to jump to.
    10. You can also combine the Row and Task Name column and hide the Count, RowID and Row columns.

Please see the attached link/screenshot for more information.

https://cl.ly/d71b0a

Depending on your country you’ll need to exchange the semi-colon to a comma in the above formulas.

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• MR
    MR ✭✭
    Options

Hi,

Now it is possible:

Right-click any row >> Properties >> Row link >> copy URL

If you want to refer to this row in other smartsheet, then you create Hyperlink to it.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.