modifying formulated cell in a report

In our main sheet, we have several simple Sum formulas for numbers and some for dates.  We have several reports created that contain columns with the formulas.  While in reports, you can change some data in each cell that will carry back to the main sheet and save.  Other data is not allowed to change (even if the column is unlocked, and you are an admin).  It looks like the cells that are not allowing changes are formulas.  Are there rules about what cells can and can't be modified from a report?  Even if the columns are unlocked?

Scott

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/13/18

Hi Scott,

Yes, there is!

• Cells containing formulas can't be modified from a report.

• If dependencies are enabled on a sheet, the End Dates for rows in those sheets aren't editable from a report because they are calculated automatically based on the dependency settings. You can instead edit the Start Date and Duration in the row to automatically re-calculate the End Date. For more information, see our Help Center article on Enabling Dependencies & Using Predecessors.

• If dependencies are enabled on a sheet, the Start Date of any task that is driven by a predecessor won't be editable from a report. You can instead change the Start Date or Duration of the predecessor task to automatically re-calculate the dates associated with dependent tasks.

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant / Get Done

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• That helps.  Another question.......Can you only enable 1 dependency on a sheet at a time?  I have 1 set up, but would like to read a couple of others.  I am guess not since it is built more for project flow and project management.  We are using our main sheet to auto-populate several different dates in a single row.  We set up a 1 dependency, but then had to create formulas for the rest currently.  But the formulas have been lost on occasion.

Scott

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi again Scott,

Can you share the sheet or attach a screenshot so that I can better understand your use case?

Best,

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andree - I have attached a pdf with a note to help.  See if this makes more sense for what I am asking.

Scott

Dependency.jpeg

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/20/18

Hi Scott,

Unfortunately, there isn't a way that I know of to accomplish that. Could you use two different sheets and then have a report to show them together in some way?

Why do you need two different dependencies?

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!