Joining cell's with text contents and checkboxes selections onto one text string

Options
aaboueid
aaboueid ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

We have a design queue sheet where we receive design requests via a web form. Users make a scope selection using a couple of drop down menus and a bunch of check boxes, and an "other" text box for miscellaneous tasks. On the queue side, the number of columns where this information is gathered occupies quite a large area of the view; please see screen shot. it would be great if there was a way to combine the results of these columns into a single cell with a text strings that represents everything selected on the submittal form.

For example I would like the output from the 3rd row to be:

3D Prsentation, Specifications, Populate Floor Plan

And from the 12th row:

3D Sketch, Specifications, no 3d req

If the results could be displayed vertically (with a carriage return) that would be even better.

Thanks in advance for any solution or advice.

Ayman

Scope.PNG

Tags:

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, possible.

Smartsheet does not allow us to reference the column name, so I add a row for that at the top of many sheets (also aids in searches and navigation around big sheets)

Likely COLLECT() and JOIN() will be involved.

For the carriage return, I keep this post bookmarked:

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/feature-request-join-carriage-return-separator#comment-13736

Looks like an interesting problem -- an hour or two to refine it.

Good luck.

Craig

• JLanders
    Options

I had a very similar situation and desired output - For others that come across this, the solution I came up with, as suggested above, included COLLECT and JOIN. 

My situation included only checkbox fields, so the solution below may not work with the 2 text fields above (Rendering and Other). First step was to add a row in line 1, duplicating the column headers since we cannot reference the header names. 

Then in your output column, beginning in row 2, enter:

=JOIN(COLLECT([Space Planning]$1:Other$1, [Space Planning]2:Other2, true), ", ")

If the box is checked, it will return the the column header (from row 1) and enter a comma in between each.

Good luck!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!