Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Can I assign a task in Smartsheet to two people?

Hello community,

My company is on a 21 day team challenge of utilizing Smartsheet to our best ability.

I am working in a project plan for a client and want to assign a task to two people instead of the usual one person.  That way both people can receive notification that a task is due.

Is this a possibility?

Thanks,

Brian

Comments

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Brian,

The two best ways to accomplish this are either to: 1) create a separate column for person 1 and person 2 (such as Assigned 1 and Assigned 2). Then set up an alert for each column. Note, you'll need to make the Column type a Contact List for the Alert feature to work.

OR

2) create the task twice (a row for each task...Task 1A, Task 1B) and assign person 1 and person 2 to his/her own task.  Again, if they are not shared to the sheet, you will need to make the Assigned Person column a Contact List column type.

Hope that helps and I wish you success on the 21 day challenge. I may recommend that challenge for my office. How are the winners judged and what are your guidelines?  

thx,

Tim

• Thanks so much!  We never considered adding a second column.  I read your comment at today's team meeting and there was a great deal of excitement.

We considered tracking changes as a means to judge who won the challenge.  But we decided to vote as a team.  The winner gets to leave early on a Friday!

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I could be of help!

Here is a lenghthy post on this issue:

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/it-possible-assign-task-multiple-people

Hoping Smartsheet will make some enhancments in this area to add functionality similar to MS Project.

One other thing... I noticed you're in Oxford.. I'm in Jackson!  Cool

Tim

• Tim, thanks for your solutions.

Smartsheet does need to add this feature, however. Selecting more than one person to assign a task to seems pretty elementary. Until they add it, it creates some extra work for us. Let's hope they're working on this, or at least considering it.

This discussion has been closed.