Help getting started

RA Prj Mgr 27
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I am very new to smartsheet and am only day 3 of using the tool. I am looking for some guidance or confirmation in my approach to manage the projects of my team. I have about 53 team members and everyone has anywhere from 5-30 projects that are either being actively working on or are in the pipeline. I am looking for the best way to organize this so that I can see who is working on what, the due dates, etc. so that I can figure out what I can move/reassign when a new urgent item comes up.

Right now, I am looking for higher level oversight and management of these projects with the potential for the team members to create Gantt charts for their individual projects if necessary. 

My thought was that it would be best to create one giant sheet with all the projects and key information (assigned to, due dates, priorities, status, etc.) and then link this data to other sheets so that I can customize views based on what views are needed (team projects, overall resourcing issues, etc.) and also create a dashboard for management to get an idea of what is going on in the group. 

Is this the best way to approach managing this many people/projects or are there recommendations from others who have done something similar that might be more useful? I just want to minimize the amount of updates to different sheets if possible.

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Depending on your specific use case I would recommend one sheet per project and then use reports and filters. Would that work for you and your team? What kind of project are you working on?

I'd happily work with you and help you with setting up a solution.

There are a few different ways to do this, and I need some more information to see what would work best for your particular situation.

If you'd like we can book a time for a free discovery call. How does that sound?

Please e-mail me at andree@getdone.se and well take it from there.

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant / Get Done

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• That sounds great. I will send you an email. Thank you!