Keeping Parent Card / Subtask relationship when moving card to another sheet.

Eric420215
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello everyone. I was wondering if there is a way to keep the relationship between a parent card and its subtask intact when moving a sub-task between sheets. In our case this would be various departments who are assigned a sub-task then the card is moved to that departments board. When complete, the department would move the card back to the parent board and its relationship to the parent card would still be valid. Is there a way to do this in SmartSheet?  I noticed that when moving cards between sheets, as long as the destination column had the same name as the column of origin, the card would be placed in the correct column. Also, if we were able to view the status of the child card on the parent card across sheets that would be nice. We are using SmartSheet for a Kanban / Ticketing system. 

Thanks!

Eric

Comments

• Hi Eric,

To ensure that you maintain hierarchy when you move items, I'd recommend that you temporarily switch to Grid view. 

In Grid view, select all of the parent/child rows that you want to move, then right-click on a selected row and choose Move to another sheet.

This will maintain your hierarchical structure.