Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Insert row below - Insert multiple rows above/below

Options
Stan Ward
Stan Ward ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

I know that one can insert a row above the current row and there there is a keyboard shortcut for this.  It would be nice to have a way to insert a row below the current row as another option for inserting rows.  It would also be nice to be able to insert multiple rows at once (above or below), by highlighting that number of rows in the current sheet.  Essentially, I am asking for mimicing of the current level of functionality of Google Sheets.

Comments

• Stephanie Taylor
    Stephanie Taylor ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can insert a row above or below a row by highlighting the row and right click.  The drop down menu gives you the option to insert above or below the highlighted row.  Same goes for multiple rows.  Highlight as many rows as you would like to insert and right click.  The drop down menu will give you the option to insert that many rows above or below the high lighted rows

• Zack S
    Zack S Employee
    Options

Hello Stan, 

As Stephanie mentioned, you can use the right click option to insert rows below, but there isn't a keyboard shortcut for this functionality, but I'll be sure to add your vote for this capability to our Product teams enhancement request list. 

If you would like to insert multiple rows above, you can use the method Stephanie mentioned of selecting however many rows you would like to insert while still using the keyboard shortcut. In order to insert them below you would need to right click. 

-Zack

• +1 for my vote for a keyboard shortcut for "Insert row below".

-K

• JohnHinkle
    JohnHinkle ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Kelvin, just click on the row below and press Insert on your keyboard. 

• Tim McNamara
    edited 02/14/17
    Options

John, the issue is that when you have filters applied, clicking the row below and pressing Insert will often not put the new row directly below the above row due to filtered out rows being in between.  This issue is most prevalent/annoying when your sheet has a heirarchy and you want to insert a new child row.

Selecting the whole row, right clicking and selecitng "insert below" is obscure for most users to find (they will often select a cell rather than the whole row given that works for insert above), not to mension cumbersome and annoying.  

I'm surprised there still isn't a keyboard shortcut given it's such an easy fix.

• ljb
    Options

It is somewhat disheartening when very simple features remain un-done for years.

Every time you make me bounce back and forth between mouse and keyboard, you lose and I lose.

For editing a work heirarchy, what should be a one-two key operation becomes several:

Could be: ctrl-insert (or some such) to insert a row below the current one, at current row's indent level.

Instead, I must (depending on filters, row's expansion, etc): 

- <arrow-down> a row

- <insert>

- type row subject

- <enter>

- <up-arrow>

- <ctrl-]> or <ctrl-[> as appropriate

OR

- (move hand off keyboard to mouse)

- <right-click row>

- (select "insert-below")

- move hand from mouse back to keyboard

- type row subject

A few times is not a problem.  Doing this all day long is a hassle!

• Nick Burrus
    Nick Burrus ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

+1 for insert below!

Dr. St Nicholas Burrus DHA, PMP

I build Smartsheets for the US Government, State Government, and about a dozen of the US Fortune 100s.

This discussion has been closed.