"If clause" in Dependancies

Jose da Silva
Jose da Silva ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hi all,

I am struggling to find a solution for this.

I have 15 individual sheets for a project.

One of the activities on sheet 2 will include a "yes/no" question.

If yes, then sheet 3 needs to be completed.

If no, then sheet 3 will not be necessary.

I can't see an efficient solution for this. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Jose,

Depending on the structure of your sheets my recommendation would be to use cross-sheet formulas so that when the activity on sheet 2 is yes or no it will mark sheet 3 as complete.

Would that work for you?

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant @ Get Done

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You could also use a helper column next to the yes/no column and enter the following:

=IF([Yes/No Column Name]@row = "Yes", "Please complete sheet 3", "")

Basically if they answer yes then "Please complete sheet 3" will pop up in the cell next to their answer. You could then use conditional formatting to make it kind of pop out at them.

If sheet 2 is being revisited by them, or if their progress is being tracked you could add another column as a checkbox type on sheets 2 AND 3. 

Have the checkbox column on sheet 3 denote whether the sheet is complete or not. Then enter an IF(INDEX(MATCH statement in the checkbox column on sheet 2 that will find their row in sheet 3 and check the box on sheet 2 if the box on sheet 3 is checked as complete.

You can also use conditional formatting to "hide" the next step on sheet two until sheet 3 is complete. Basically you would say that if the sheet complete box is unchecked then apply the format of white fill and white font to the remaining columns. Once they complete sheet three, the box on sheet 2 will check itself and reveal the cells relating to the next step.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!