Release Milestones

Options
maspring
maspring
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I'd like to establish a row that holds our release schedule. Every three weeks I'd like some visual marker that indicates that we've got a new release. 

That seems possible in Smartsheets,  but establishing a cadence of milestones seems to require individual rows for each release. 

Is there a way to place markers without dedicating a columns to them?

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not sure I quite follow.

Is this the scenario you are thinking of:

Next Release is July 20th.

On July 21st, you'd like July 20th to change to August 10th?

What is it about individual rows that causes concern?

What if the tasks for the release are not completed and the release slips?

Craig

• maspring
    maspring
    edited 07/18/18
    Options

Every three weeks we do a release. 

Release 65 is on July 29. Release 66 is on August 21. Release 67...

All our work needs to line up with those releases. We work backwards from the release milestones to define the tasks. 

I'm asking if it's possible to simply have these tic marks associated with the release show up as milestone markers. I'm trying to create a template for other team members to drop their planning into. 

I could conceivably do it by creating a row for each release and sticking a milestone into it. But that's not ideal. 

Ideally there'd be a vertical line at pre-defined points that simply keeps track of release dates. 

• maspring
    Options

I want to establish a template with regular milestones for each of our releases. 

We release on a regular schedule and I want all the contributors to align their project work to the release schedule. 

See attached picture.

I could possibly do it by putting a milestone in a row, but that's not ideal because I think I'd need a new row for each milestone. 

Capture.PNG

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

maspring,

A couple of thoughts.

Smartsheet's Gantt chart does not have markers as you show them there.

At any particular moment in time, all the markers (if they could be created) must exist, each of those are related to a date, and in spreadsheet-land, that means the date needs to be a cell somewhere.

I'm not sure how you will what you hoping for from Smartsheet.

Lastly, as a PM, your image gives me the willies. 

Craig