Make start date the same as predecessors end date

Jbray
Jbray
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I am working on a project sheet and the day my first task ends, my second task starts. Is there a way to make my tasks start day the same as its predecessors end date? 

Thanks!

Tags:

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Enable Dependencies

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/765727-enabling-dependencies-using-predecessors

In the [Predecessor] column, second task row, enter the row number of the first task.

The default dependency is FS (finish to start)

Craig

• Thanks for the help! I have done what you recommended and the start day does not become the same as the end day. 

Capture.PNG

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, sorry, there's a nuance that might not be explained in the link I provided. It has been a while since I read it.

Your first task starts at 8am on July 10th and ends at 5pm on July 25th, unless you have changed your working day in Project Settings.

The next task starts immediately after that, but the PM tool thinks everyone went home and so it starts on the next working day. If July 25th was a Friday, it would start on Monday if you had not changed the settings, but it appears you did since your duration is 16d.

Depending on how accurate the 16d is, if you are using it to determine expected costs, and other factors, it can get tricky to show what you want.

You could provide a lead on the 2nd task in the Predecessor column

=18 - x 

where x could. be 1d, 1h, 1m

but those throw off the rest of the dates too.

You could shorten the duration of the 1st task, say to 15.5h

If I were PM, I would likely let the handler of the first task know "I need this before noon on the 25th because Nancy needs to do her thing and we can send it to the customer by COB"

I hope this helps.

Craig

• Thank you. Shortening the duration of the task, to a ".5" works. So if you need to do Task 1 that has a 2d duration, before Task 2 - and want task 2 to begin the same day - You can shorten the Task 1 duration to 1.5 and that fixes the issue