f(x) & Edit Reference do not appear

Options
Dan Seidler
Dan Seidler ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

The help documentation states the following about cell references:  “You can edit the name, referenced cell range, and source sheet of the reference.”

If using a long formula and selecting the cell containing the formula, the left-most portion of the formula is not visible on the display (i.e., f(x) =  AND Edit Reference do not appear. Therefore, I am unable to click on any references to bring up the Reference Another Sheet form in order to rename them or simply see what range is being used. A vertical scroll bar is presented which allows up/down movement, but no horizontal scroll bar to allow left/right movement.

What am I overlooking? Is there another way? I have Admin permission to all sheets.

Thank you,

Dan

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Could it be a "Zoom" setting on your browser itself instead of within smartsheet? I've personally never had that issue. The formula will stretch from one side of the screen to the other and keep adding rows, but the "Help Box" and the formula in it's entirety will stay on the screen. I even tried using the bottom horizontal scroll bar to see if maybe that was it, but no matter where I was on the page, the formula and "Help Box" stayed front and center.

• Dan Seidler
    Options

We tried zoom, but it did not help.  Ours will not add rows - it is one, VERY long formula.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You may want to contact Smartsheet support directly about that. It doesn't seem like it should be working that way.

Even when I have entered formulas (accidentally) exceeding the 4,000 character limit, the formula box does more of a "wrap text" for me. (It just crashes when you try to save. No heads up, no warning, not even a reason for the crash. It just crashes... angry)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!