Cannot update % Complete via Update Request form

Josh Garcia
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello Smartsheet community,

Hoping this is simple user error, but can't seem to figure this one out.

I have a PM who needs to submit an update request to her team and have her team submit an updated % Complete in return.

Right now, recipients are seeing an non-editable field where % Complete appears.

I tried launching their update request myself, as an admin on the sheet, and saw the same thing they saw.

I recreated the scenario using myself as a recipient on a sheet I owned, and did manage to present % complete as editable.

Any suggestions on the underlying cause? Want to enable the team to contribute % Complete on these tasks back to the PM, and advise PM's on best practice going forward.

Thanks!

Josh

1.jpg

2.jpg

Comments

• Hi Josh,

I think that in your first screenshot, you're sending them a parent row. Parent row % complete is a read-only field, as Smartsheet automatically rolls up a weighted % complete based on duration and % completes of the child rows.

Your second screenshot appears to be a child row of some kind, which is why you can update % complete.

Make sure you're sending everyone child rows as opposed to parents. I'd recommend double-checking the sheet itself and making sure you don't see a -/+ button in the primary column for the row you're sending out as an update request.

Otherwise, it's possible (but not as likely) that the % complete column is locked in the sheet. If that's the case, you'll see a lock icon in the column header when looking at the sheet. I'd recommend unlocking the column by clicking that icon.

• That was exactly the cause - parent rows. My oversight. Thank you Shaine!