Cell value is cleared easily for a locked column before unlock

Options
FrankW
FrankW
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hi,

I have a calculated column field and do not want others (including myself) to override the calculation.

So, I made the column as lock column.

However, I was able to clear the calculation or value in the column without UNLOCKING the column. 

My expectation is:

-  others cannot change the cell values in this column; and

-  I need to UNLOCK the column before I change the value of any cells in this column.

Regards

Frank

Lock_Column_with_Formula.jpg

Clear_Cell_without_unlock_column.jpg

Tags:

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi FrankW, 

Your ability to clear the cell has to do with sheet permissions. Admins, and people shared on sheets as Admins are able to delete the content of locked cells. View this article on sheet permissions to see what is capable with which role a person has been assigned. Because you are an admin, you are able to edit locked cells. 

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/1155182-sharing-permission-levels

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please submit an enhancement request:

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/739aa75f30ca43a8a22eb53e4da7d409

This is my user story:

As an ADMIN allow LOCK (rows and columns) to affect the Admin in the following ways for each Sheet:

- always on (until manually turned off - so same as an Editor)

- reminder (prompt for change when modifying locked items, prompt for disabling for session and for turning off reminder if not disabling it (I want ONE chance to have this choice, not one each time I violate the lock)

- always off (the way it is now)

to give the Admin some protection against their own inadvertent mistakes overriding needed functionality.

This would be a Sheet level configuration property.

Craig

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That has been my story as well. It would be great to lock the data similarly to Google Sheets where I am warned if I am editing something i have locked. I will submit this enhancement request as well. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another consideration would be how the configuration affects multiple Admins with access to the sheet, but since this is not something I expect to see from Smartsheet, I don't want to spend a lot of time thinking about it.

Craig

• FrankW
    Options

Thanks Craig. I have already submitted an enhancement request.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!