Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Sending update requests and they can't change start and end dates

Rob
Rob
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Hi,

I am sharing rows from a sheet with several people via an update request. The row is part of a Gannt chart project.

I want the recipient to be able to edit all of the details in the row. They can edit % complete and duration but not the start or end dates of the task. Even if the task has no precedents they cannot change this. Is there something else I need to do to allow them to do this?

Thanks

Rob

Comments

• Hi Rob!

I sent you an email on this as well. You may find certain cells uneditable through an Update Request when Dependencies are enabled in your sheet. This is due to background Dependencies calculations that these cells (e.g. End Date) can't be changed through an Update Request, even if the row has no Predecessors.

I'll pass your feedback along to our Product team for this functionality to be implemented in future versions of Smartsheet.

If you have any further questions, you're welcome to reply back to the email I sent and I'll be happy to help.

• I would second this and ask this to moved up to the top of the wish list. Not being able to update dates pretty much nullifies update requests for anyone who is trying to use SmartSheet to coordinate a project schedule. 

Please fix this soon!

• Liz Fong
    Liz Fong
    edited 07/07/16

Any advancement on this?  It seems that you can't edit Start and End dates from an update request.  While I have depencies enabled because I want the option, i don't care if dependancies are broken by this...it is more important that start and end dates be editable upon request.  I would handle any broken dependecies as needed.

• Hi Liz-- This is not currently on our short-term roadmap, so I don't have an update on availability. If you're following this thread, it will very likely be updated if there is more information available at a future date!

• I believe i'm having this problem too. It's odd though: I can't update the task manually either.

I did have an update request sent out for this which was pending. Eliminating all possible holds on this Start Date, I removed the update request, checked for any dependencies and made sure this is a child task.

Still can't change Start Date.

Also, if I make a "test" task with a date of its own, and drop it into that subtask group, the same date gets forced on it and it becomes unchangable.

Same for other subgroups of tasks (if I drop that same test task into them).

It's as if there's some lock on my Start Dates (but neither column nor row is locked).

Really need to get to the bottom of this. Not being able to change dates for this project is going to be a problem in a matter of hours.

I left a message with Support just now too (via phone recording).

• This is especially a problem, because the only reason I'm enabling project dependencies is to allow it to calculate the non working days.

• rex.card
    rex.card
    edited 01/30/17

I too would like to follow this thread as updating end dates is something intividual task owners should be able to do.

• I would like to receive updates in this regarding too. Having this function saves a lot of time. 

• Has anything changed on this request?

I would like users to be able to change dates from Cards and Updates?

This discussion has been closed.