Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Link to external spreadsheet

I would like to link to an external Excel spreadsheet that has multiple tabs.  I understand that I can attach the spreadsheet, but I'd like the ability for all our users to edit just one spreadsheet in real-time (vs. editing and re-attaching after each edit).  Is this possible?

Comments

• Jim Hook
    Jim Hook ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think there is a way to generate a link to anything other than another Smartsheet or an external url so there is no easy solution to your problem. If you're not using Excel functions like pivot tables or nice charts you could import each Excel tab into a unique Smartsheet and link everything together within Smartsheet and then share the sheets with everyone on your team as editors. That might be a lot of work though depending on what each Excel tab does and how many there are.

• SashaR
    SashaR
    edited 05/19/15

We have switched to used Google Docs instead of Excel. You can link a Google Spreadsheet directly to your sheet. When someone clicks the link, they are brought directly to the Spreadsheet were they can make their changes. You don’t have to worry about re-attaching it, since it will always be linked to your Smartsheet and you won’t have worry about file versions (its all saved with Google). 

This discussion has been closed.