Formula for RYG using % Complete and Finish Date

Amy Burns
Amy Burns ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I am trying to populate my Status field, using RYG formatting (based off the % Complete and Finish Date).  I am trying to use an AND/OR and it is not working for me.  I can get half way there, but not completely.

My Status Definitions:

Gray - Not Started

Yellow - In Progress

Green - Completed

Red - At Risk

I would like to get the formula to say: 

IF the % Complete is 100% then Status is Green (regardless of date)

IF % Complete is between 1-99% AND Finish Date is prior to 3 Days before it is due, then Status is Yellow

IF % Complete is between 1-99% AND/OR Finish Date is within 3 Days or Past due then Red

IF % Complete is 0% OR Finish Date is Blank then Gray

I seem to be able to get this to work only based on the Finish Date or based on the % Complete, but I am having trouble getting it all.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Comments

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

=IF([% Complete]1 = 1, "Green", IF(AND([% Complete]1 < 1, [% Complete]1 > 0), IF(NETDAYS([Finish Date]1, TODAY()) <= 3, "Yellow", "Red"), "Gray"))

• Amy Burns
    Amy Burns ✭✭✭✭

I will try that. Thanks!

• Amy Burns
    Amy Burns ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately I got an UNPARSEABLE.  

• Amy Burns
    Amy Burns ✭✭✭✭

Got it to work!! Thank you!

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not a problem. For future reference smartsheet has a pretty good resource for this type of problem.

https://www.smartsheet.com/blog/support-tip-automate-RYG-balls

• Amy Burns
    Amy Burns ✭✭✭✭

HI - OK after further review I am 90% there, I think.  I have combed through the Community and the RYG Tips. I have tweaked the formula based on what I could find, but still something is off that I am not able to pinpoint it.  I have 2 formulas I am trying.

IF % Complete is 100% Then Green

IF % Complete is between 1-99% and [Finish] date is 3 days out, then Yellow

IF [Finish] date is less than 3 days out (or past due) then Red

Otherwise Gray

Formula1:

=IF([% Complete]15 = 1, "Green", IF(AND([% Complete]15 < 1, [% Complete]15 > 0), IF(NETDAYS(Finish15, TODAY()) <= 3, "Yellow", "Red"), "Gray"))

This works to turn Green and Yellow, but if date is past due then it does not change to Red and will also not change from Gray to Red if Date is past due.

Formula2:

=IF([% Complete]20 = 1, "Green", IF(AND([% Complete]20 < 1, [% Complete]20 > 0), IF(TODAY() - Finish20 < 3, "Yellow"), IF(TODAY() - Finish20 < -3, "Red", "Gray")))

This works to turn Green and Yellow, but if date is past due then it does not change to Red and will also not change from Gray to Red if Date is past due.

I know in both of these it is an issue with the [Finish] date but where am I going wrong?

Thanks,

Amy

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/12/18

The main issue is that <= 3, "Yellow"

All negative numbers are less than a positive one, and thus it is always popping true. This means you need another if statement. 

if( < 0,"red","yellow") where "Yellow" currently is in the first formula

Untested*

=IF([% Complete]15 = 1, "Green", IF(AND([% Complete]15 < 1, [% Complete]15 > 0), IF(NETDAYS(Finish15, TODAY()) <= 3, if(netdays(Finish15,today())<0,"Red","Yellow"), "Red"), "Gray"))

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!