Contact Columns marked Multiple Don't Populate Legacy Reports

Options
PScof
PScof
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I have 140 or so projects I manage reporting on and was excited to see that we could now do multiple contacts in our Assigned To column. However, when adding new projects with this feature enabled I noticed that Reports count those columns as different than other Assigned To columns without this feature enabled even though they have the same names. 

I really don't want to have to go through 140 existing sheets to click a check box on a single column to enable this feature for my PMs. Is there a way to get the multiple contact Assigned To columns to populate in the same space on a report as the Assigned To columns without that feature enabled?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

Unfortunately, at the moment it isn't possible. I know that the Smartsheet team is working on making changes/updating it.

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Daniel Stein
    Options

Thanks for your question. Andree is correct that we are currently looking into automatically combining single- and multi-contact columns that have the same name in reports, in response to customer requests.

In the meantime, you are right that you would need to turn on the feature in all underlying sheets referenced by the report, then swap out the column in the report. Steps are here.

Best regards,

Daniel

• Daniel Stein
    Options

Hi all,

We shipped an enhancement to reports so that they now automatically combine data from contact columns that have the same name, regardless of whether "Allow multiple contacts per cell" is turned on. So for all new reports and most existing reports, you'll no longer see 2 versions of the same column.

If you had already added both the single- and multi-contact version of the column to the report, you'll see that all the data is now combined under one column, and the other is blank. You can go ahead and remove the blank column from your report.

Best regards,

Daniel