Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Critical Path Not Working

Ken Popkin
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

I have dependencies & predecessors enabled.  When I'm in the gantt view and I press the critical path button nothing happens.  Any thoughts I what I'm doing wrong or should look into?

Thanks,

Ken

Tags:

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Ken, turn critical path on, then locate the latest task in your project on the Gantt chart. Does this task have a red boarder? 

• No tasks have a red border when I turn on the Critical Path.  Would it help if I give you rights to the plan, so you can take a look?  If so, what email should I use?

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Thanks Ken. Please share the sheet as an Admin to travis.hannon@smartsheet.com and I will take a look at it! 

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Thanks for sharing your sheet! In the current view of the sheet (as it was shared to me) you have your hierarchies collapsed to only show parent rows. Critical path is only highlighted on child rows.

Right click your primary column header and select Expand All and you will see your critical path. It starts on row 5.

Let me know if you have any questions about this! 

• Thanks, Travis!  I see the critical path now, so all set.

• Scott S.
    Scott S.
    edited 05/31/16

Critical path is now appearing. I have followed the suggestions here but still no red outlines. Suggestions Travis?

• I have attempted the recommended solutions on this board but still do not have the critical path appearing.  More suggestions?

Scott

• Kennedy Stomps
    Kennedy Stomps Employee
    edited 06/01/16

Hi Scott, to confirm, are you not seeing any red highlighted tasks in your sheet? Have you tried expanding any collapsed parent rows in your sheet and removing any filters to ensure all of your data is visible on the sheet? Once you've done this, try scrolling all the way to the right in the Gantt view to see if you can find a highlighted task. Once you've done so, you can link this task to other tasks with Predecessors to create a Critical Path. 

If you're still having trouble viewing the Critical Path in your sheet, feel free to share your sheet with me at kennedy.stomps@smartsheet.com and I'll be happy to take a look at it.

• Hello Kennedy,

I am having the same problem with my schedule - critical path not appearing.  It was working when I clicked the Critical Path icon, but now when I  click the icon, nothing happens.   Can you assist?   I'll be happy to share my sheet with you..

Eric Norman

• I have read through all of these suggestions.  I've made sure that I have followed everything and I am not able to see the critical path for my project.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

John King

• Can someone please answer this? I have done everything advised on here and there is no red outline showing my critical path.

• Hello, I have set up a sheet and followed the advise above. However, even though I think I have followed all the instructions (enabled dependencies, set up predecessors, collapsed all rows, checked the full length of the gantt, no filters are active). Appreciate if anyone can assist me please? Many thanks in advance

This discussion has been closed.