Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Dropdown and Pick Lists

Options

Comments

• Scott Ashby
    edited 09/13/16
    Options

Our company also needs this capability before we go and develop all of our company's sheets. We don't want to have to go back and update 7 spreadsheets if something changes.

• Kennedy Stomps
    Options

I have added your votes for this!

• Galen Garrison, PMP, CSM, MBA
    edited 11/02/16
    Options

Kate has been asking for this for 2 years? Make Kate happy and release this functionality, please. Add my vote too, please. Smile

• DapY
    Options

I agree that it will be a must have for Smartsheet to have this function. 

I love smartsheet so much that I want to build my CRM in it. But without this function, it the setup will not be successful and I will have to use another system to house my data .

Thank you for your consideration

• Tony Coleman
    Options

I would also like to add my vote.  There is this or the vlookup from another sheet function which would benefit me.   

Any view as to where these are on the roadmap?

• Kurt Hanish
    Options

I would like to vote for this enhancement as well

• Gordon
    Gordon ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Any update on this feature request?  It seems like this has been on the "wishlist" for a while.

Like others above, this would go a long way towards solving a major problem for me.

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi all, 

I asked this very question at the conference in September and the response was that "it was coming" but that is 4 months ago, so can we have an authoratative response from whoever is running this work? 

Kara Lumley can you ask for us? 

Regards to all. 

RichardR 

PS you will know that we can do this using Appsheet with Smartsheet but not everybody wants that solution. 

• So, now that we have cross-sheet formulas (thank you sooo much for that!!!), when can we have dropdowns with a list of values from another sheet?

• Richard
    Richard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would like to double vote for this enhancement as well.

Is there any news on when it will come?

Thanks

• Tony Coleman
    Options

I think it's a little disappointing that this thread it 890 days in now without any real progress.  Maybe a policy on community management that anything Open/Outstanding should receive an official response every 6 months. 

Otherwise the community ethos could start to erode over time, i.e. why contribute to suggestions for feature requests when they potentially are just going down a black hole.

I appreciate the challenge of keeping development and feature updates under the radar for competition purposes.

• Tamer Shahin
    Options

This is a really important feature, having a dynamic drop down list that will have values based on "functions"

It could be columns from another sheet, rows from a report, Values from VLOOKUP, or any other smart drop down list.

I was actually surprised, and disappointed, when I discovered this not a feature in Smartsheet! after I had already invested the time and money in it.

Please add my vote for this

• Ezra
    Ezra ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes yes yes.  This would be a very important enhancement for the developers to tackle. I have need for this functionality as well.

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Options

Hi all this subject "Dynamic Dropdown lists" in Smartsheet has been a subject of much discussion here and among my colleagues. 

I'd just like to Clarify what is actually wanted here, because the word Dynamic seems to mean different things, which I believe can best be split into two? 

Solution 1.

There is much demand from users for a way to update Lists in Smartsheet and that list then populate all the other Smartsheet dropdown lists that reference that same list automatically. Which would save a lot of manual labour and potential for human error. Also making the revised list available in SmartForms too, so very powerful feature, not currently possible in the native Smartsheet. 

Solution 2

Is where the need is for Conditional Logic... meaning the selection offered at each level, changes according to your previous selection. Also not possible in Smartsheet forms. 

Our conclusion is..... Solution 1 is called Smarter Dropdown List Manager which we are supplying to our existing clients right now for a small extra cost using API coding and a nice easy Smartsheet interface. Simple to use, very powerful.

Solution 2 

Behaves more like a database although the resultant "Conditional Logic" activity can be entered into Smartsheet for action. We achieve this for clients by providing a Web Form link which offers the relevant choices and selections, concluding in some form or action. To do this we use Appsheet with Smartsheet and it works really well to achieve fairly simple or very complex solutions.

Any users wanting to implement Smarter Dropdown List Manager, this will be generally available form Mid September once we have satisfied existing client need. We will announce this with more details shortly. 

For those wanting Solution 2. Conditional Logic solutions in Smartsheet? We offer a Demonstration and estimate of costs to set that up for your particular Use case. Also starting mid September once we have concluded existing commitments. 

For those looking to make their lives a whole lot easier please let us know which solution you need?  

Hope that helps? RichardR

Smarter Business Processes

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Options

Both of our Solutions are now LIVE and available on demand. 

Smarter Dropdown List manager - entirely managed within Smartsheet was launched on 17th September 2018. There is a small subscription cost as it is not part of the standard Smartsheet License, is has been developed by our API team, hence we need to recover some of our costs. Happy to Demo. 

Link to more info here....

https://www.smarterbusinessprocesses.com/smarter-dropdown-list-manager/

For those needing Dynamic Dropdowns using Conditional logic, more info here...

https://www.smarterbusinessprocesses.com/dynamic-lists/

Happy to be able to solve two of the BIG ASKS of the Smartsheet Community. 

Regards to all

Richardr

This discussion has been closed.