Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Can conditional formatting be base on a cell in a different sheet?

Options
Matt Lane
Matt Lane
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

I wanting to have a row in one sheet populate with data from another sheet only if a condtion is met in the original sheet.

Is this possible?

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Matt

just trying to understand your question from the oposite direction... 

If a condition is met in one sheet, you want data from that sheet to be automatically sent to another sheet? 

Yes you can, by using Zapier or for more complex data managemnt then use Azaqua. 

If I have answered the wrong question just say so and we can look again? 

RichardR

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Matt, 

This may also be possible without Zapier or Azuqua.

Can you give a more detailed example?

Craig

• Jim Hook
    Jim Hook ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The only way I have found to do this is to link all the data that you might want to populate into the sheet you are working on and then use IF formulas to decide if the data should be put in the cells of interest based on some local condition. This can get messy if there is a lot of data from multiple sources that you are dealing with. Excel can have links to cells outside of the current sheet in formulas which allows this to be done but that capability is not in Smartsheet today.

• Matt Lane
    Options

Craig,

My example would be 2 sheets. One is a sheet for interview candiates with a row with data. Once a hired column says Hired, the rest of the row is copied into a sperate staff spread sheet. These sheets are growing and so having all the rows linked wouldnt be the best option.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Matt,

This sounds like the best bet is one of the workflow tools like Zapier or Azuqua.

You say the sheets are growing so I imagine lots of interview candidates and a growing company.

For a smaller company, an option would be to keep all of the data in a single sheet and use reports for staff and no-hires. That doesn't feel right for your needs.

Nor does the free version of Zapier, which has limited tasks per month.

The devs are working on Webhooks to allow automated event driven tasks, but that will require programming via the API. 

You could have an email alert fired off to a lower paid staffer to do the copy to the next sheet. 

Sorry I wasn't much help, I fear.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.