Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Account Settings/Working Days

Loann McGee
Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Good morning,

Just wondering if there's an upcoming enhancement for perhaps a drop-down box to select your country where it will auto-populate major holidays, such as New Year's Day, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc, but also allow to add additional days, if needed.

Blessings,

Loann

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Loann,

I don't see anything like that on Smartsheet's road map

https://www.smartsheet.com/product-roadmap

I ran into a few problems with holidays for my projects.

I had projects in one country (Czech Rep for example) staffed by engineers in other countries (US, Sweden, Germany, etc..).

Holidays are assigned by sheet (such as the project schedule) not by the resource (such as MS Projects vacation calendar feature).

There could be a task that could be done by a US engineer but not by a German one because of the holiday schedule.

To avoid this, I stopped using holidays on the project sheet completely. 

Instead, I created one sheet that had all of the holidays of concern by country. 

I then had another sheet for my team where I tracked their vacations and holidays.

I would copy the applicable holidays from the master sheet and assign the holiday to each individual. 

In the project schedule, the person would show up as over booked on holidays, serving as reminder to the PM (if it wasn't me) that the task would not be worked on that day.

It took about an hour or two to set up the master sheet (about 10 countries) and another hour or two to set up my team's anticipated holidays. 

Worked well.

This prevented another PM from sending my German to another country when the customer was closed (which had happened before).

Hope this helps and is clear.

If others have better solutions, I'd love to hear them.

Craig

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Craig - you have quite a challenge when dealing with different countries! Fortunately, our use is for our ministry that is all internal, so our holidays are the same across the board. Whew! 

This discussion has been closed.