Alerts & Actions Permissions

baddams
baddams ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Is there a way to set the default Alert and Actions permissions on the sheet level to be the Least Restrictive? I have updated the template I am using to be the Least Restrictive, but new sheets are still set to Most Restrictive by default.

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Yes, there is! You can set the default under your Account > Account Admin > Account Settings > Alerts & Actions Permissions.

Is this what you wanted?

Happy Holidays & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• baddams
    baddams ✭✭✭✭

Hi Andree,

I have had it set up that way and new sheets still come in with the setting set to Most Restrictive. I even just tried making a Grid only and not using the template and it was the same. I will enter a support ticket.

Thanks,

Brooke

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I agree it sounds like a bug.

Best,

Andrée

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• jesscw
    jesscw ✭✭

Hi there,

Did anyone find a solution to this?

My team uses about 13 templates to use for hundreds of events, and no matter if the sheet is a "template" or "sheet", the strictness permission setting doesn't stay on least restrictive, which then invalidates our Slack channel alert set up.

Since we host hundreds of events, we don't want to set up these alerts every single time we create a new sheet.

• baddams
    baddams ✭✭✭✭

Instead of using the template, I had to have my templates live as sheets and when I File > Save as new the setting is retained. I was told by support that it wasn't a bug, but the way the system is created.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That makes sense because of the possible security implications otherwise.

Best,

Andrée

• Ramsay Zaki
    Ramsay Zaki ✭✭✭✭✭✭

We have this issue as well... even though I have it set to Unrestricted in the Account Admin, all newly created sheets get Restricted as the default. :-(

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Ramsay,

@Ramsay Zaki

It's by design for security reasons.

Automation Permissions

Control who can receive automation from sheets based on their sheet access and relationship with your organization. Options are organized from Restricted (only users shared to the sheet) to Unrestricted (any email address and third-party integration, such as Slack).

Keep the following behavior in mind:

All sheets are created with Restricted permissions, so sheet owners and admins must manually make automation less restrictive at the sheet-level if desired.

Sheet owners and admins will only be able to select sheet-level automation permissions that are equally or more restrictive than the account-level automation permissions.

If any sheets are Unrestricted or Limited, and you set the account to be more restrictive, then those sheets will automatically adopt the more restrictive setting. However, if you then set the account to be less restrictive, then the sheets will return to their prior state unless they were manually set to be more restricted than the account settings.

If a sheet is manually set to Restricted or Limited permissions, and you adjust the account-level automation permissions to be less restrictive, the sheets will remain unchanged

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!