Conditionally Formatting Children

Conditionally Formatting Children

I am using Conditional Formatting to change the background color of a row based on the value of a cell in that row. I want to visually distinguish courses on a course development list belonging to certain colleges.

FOR EXAMPLE

If College="UC", color background yellow.

If College="PS", color background light blue. 

I am modifying the structure now because for some courses there is a request for more than one modality (blended and online, versus just blended). I want to set up the course row with more than one modality to have each modality be a child.

If the parent is a course in UGC (College="UC"), the parent is still the same yellow, but the children are all a different shade of yellow.

Can you set up conditionally formatting not only based on the value of a cell but also on whether or not it is a child or parent?

Comments

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Yes, with the help of helper columns that indicate if it's a parent or child. Do you know how to do that?

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

This is one way to do it.

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Task Name]@row)) > 0, COUNT(ANCESTORS()) + 1)

Best,

Andrée

Best,

Andrée Starå

• Yea. That was my first thought. Didn't know if there was a "cleaner" way to do this. Thanks!

Happy to help!

I used to have specific PARENT and CHILDREN columns, but nowadays I almost always have a Level column in my solutions instead.

Best,

Andrée

Best,

Andrée Starå