Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Multiple project sheet schedules or only one?

Options
2»

Comments

• ereeves
    Options

Great stuff here.. I am struggling with similar challenge with many of the same requirements - would love if you could share with me as well:

ereeves@anaqua.com

Thanks,

Erik

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • John Fox
    John Fox
    edited 07/24/17
    Options

Excellent post.  ...me too?  :)  john@johnmfoxjr.com

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Davejavu
    Davejavu ✭✭
    edited 09/11/17
    Options

Another consideration for those using Resource Views: with all projects on a single sheet your Resource View will show just a single job name (the tab name) for each person, even if  that person is assigned many tasks on that sheet (not all that useful). Alternatively, if you use a separate tab/sheet for each project the Resources View shows every job that person is assigned to, and their percentages, like this:

Suzie Smith

September trade show   80%

2018 Budget                 100%

Seattle Conference         50%

One trade off appears to be that using many tabs/sheets you lose much of the Kanban functionality since you cannot drag cards across jobs.

• Pat Lockwood
    Pat Lockwood ✭✭
    edited 09/08/17
    Options

Craig - hate to pile on, but could you share them with me too? :)  plockwood62@gmail.com

Thanks!!!

• R.Silber
    R.Silber ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd love what you sent to the others, also, Craig -- r.silber@yahoo.com -- and for any others of you who have screen shots to share.

I'm in the exact same boat: I manage the processing and editing functions for reports that our office publishes -- multiple editors and reviewers for many different stages of a report's writing. Each "report" is really it's own project that can last for 3-6 months.

I've managed it all comfortably from the same sheet for a few years, but now am trying to gain broader Smartsheet adoption throughout our office and am thinking that it would be better if broken up into discrete sheets. My issue/concern/desire is more about enduser ease of use through reports (because I don't really want them messing with the formatting and formulas and some fields on my sheet(s?) that is/are unique to my needs and, in some cases, not appropriate for other eyes (like rates of pay for contractors). But I do want other users to take responsibility for tracking and updating dates, deliverables, approvals, etc. Seems like I'd have to be constantly updating reports to include or exclude new or finished projects? And, because I'm not a master of formulas, I seem to be forever tweaking and reapplying them to be a little more powerful -- in these cases, it's already a pain, but if I had to go to dozens of sheets to do the same, it'd be even more of an ordeal.

Any advice would be great.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not currently sharing those sheets/templates. I've been tearing them apart and rebuilding them for a PM/PMO process/demo/series of posts to come. They aren't ready for prime time as this is fifth on the priority list. :(

As for this:

Seems like I'd have to be constantly updating reports to include or exclude new or finished projects?

I find that careful use of Groups and Workspaces really helps in the maintenance cost area. For example, just a workspace for Active Projects could be used for Reports that only need to draw from ... you guessed it the active projects. This conflicts with the other best practice to split projects by workspaces ... but every design is a tradeoff and depends very much on the orgs workflows and personalities.

It would be very helpful in the API's functionality could be extended in this (Reports) area, but there's is very little maintenance / creation of Reports that can be done outside the GUI. 

That probably does not help as much as I would like.

Craig

• Taru
    Options

Hi Craig,

Sinking very much in the similar situation of your original post.

Would be really helpful if you could share the same me too at: tarukumar@gmail.com

Many thanks in advace.

-- Taru

• KS_NQF
    Options

Hi Craig,

Are you happening to be sharing these once again?

Thanks in advance!

KS

Kschepis@qualityforum.org 

• Rajiur Rahman
    Options

Craig,

Would you mind sharing the screen shot with me as well.

My email address: shah.rahman@edmonton.ca

This discussion has been closed.