Only available to users in the owner's account

Doug D at UNC
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

In the "Edit By Anyone - Publish Links" page, one of the options is "Only available to users in the owner's account."  

I have been trying to find documentation as far as what that means exactly, but I don't see any.   What does it mean to be "in the owner's account?" 

Second question:  Ideally, I would want to require people to login, so that I can track who made what change, but I don't really need to restrict anyone from seeing the sheet.  Is there a way to do that?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Doug,

The "Only available to users in the owner's account." means that it's only accessible to the users that are in the account of the owner of the item. (The users added to the item owner's account)

Second question.

You could publish two links, one with read-only and one with Edit by Anyone (In owner's account) and either use two different links or use the one to the read-only version and have a link to the other one on that sheet.

Would that work? 

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree, 

Hate to point this out really as you are one of the most active users in this community but many of the answers I've seen from you are quite ambiguous...sorry yes The "Only available to users in the owner's account." means that it's only accessible to the users that are in the account of the owner of the item. (The users added to the item owner's account)

Maybe I should STFU but maybe you won't mind some unsolicited cyber feedback wink

Anyhow, I have the same first question as the OP. Logic tells me it means licensed users under the Account Admin but I wanted to clarify that. I was hoping it meant "contacts" under the user account but I'm 95% sure that won't be the case. 

Back to regular programing....

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Carlos,

I never mind feedback! (Cyber or IRL) wink  It's a way to grow and evolve.

It's a tongue twister for sure, but it's reasonably straightforward.

The users that are added to the Sheet Owners account (Account Administration > User Management) can access the published sheet, and they don't need to be licensed users. They only need to be added as users in the Owners account.

Hope that clarifies!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Alejandra
    Alejandra Employee

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your feedback! I've submitted a request to update the access control portion of our help center article on publishing Smartsheet items: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/522078-publishing-smartsheet-items

• I hate to admit it, but I didn't know who the "owner" was, what it means to be "in" someone's account, or what it would mean for me to "add" someone to my account or what privileges it would give them if I "added" them and they were "under" me vs. if anyone else "added" them and they were "under" someone else. Can they be "under" two or more users?  Is my account "under" someone else's account?  Still fuzzy on what all that means.

I don't see a "Account Administration > User Management" menu.  Maybe I don't have the permissions.

If it makes a difference everyone at my workplace with an email under the same domain is able to login using our shibboleth enabled login page that we manage.  So, I'm not sure if we add individual accounts, since anyone with an account at my workplace can login.  I don't have the permissions to see everything though.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Doug,

Did you get answers to the above or do you still have questions?

Best,

Andrée

• I would like to bump this question to the top.

Looking at the "access control portion of the help center article on publishing Smartsheet items: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/522078-publishing-smartsheet-items" it appears the article has not been updated to specifically call out what "users in the owner’s account" really means.

Based on Andrée's post, I am not certain if he's referring to Group Management, My Contacts or something else.

I do not see a "User Management" under Account Administration. I have Group Admin privileges but not System Admin.

Any insight on this would be really helpful as my team is trying to sort out how to safely publish dashboards.

Thanks in advance,

Meech

• I heard back from my Smartsheet rep, and this is what I found out in case anyone else is wondering...

“Only available to users in the owner’s account” refers to users who are manageable by your Smartsheet admin team.

They are "internal" users as they are managed in the User Management portal in the admin portals.

You can enable publishing or web forms for only internal users.

They will be required to log in to access those links. 

They can be any user type but need to be added to the account "roster" by the admin before viewing published items like sheets and web forms.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing Meech!

That is an excellent description, much better than mine! wink