Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Sum a range based on the status of a check box

Options
Pete Oman
Pete Oman
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I am trying to create a fomula to add two columns based on whether a Check Box is ticked or not? I think this should be pretty easy but have not been able to figure out. I have tried using IF statement with no luck.

Tags:

Comments

• KrisWalsh
    KrisWalsh ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/21/16
    Options

It can get confusing sometimes.  (:

Example Sheet - Right side

=IF(Ck1 = 1, ValueA1 + ValueB1, "")

• Pete Oman
    Options

Kris, I appreciate the help. I actually got through it with some trial and error. I end up using =SUMIF(Status1, 1, [Quoted Amount]1 + [Change Order]1)

Thanks for your help.

Pete

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Pete,

but it doesn't work either, does it? Why don't you use what Kris suggested (and can be seen on his example sheet)? Sumif()'s function is to summarize a range of cells (records) in a column (field) based on a criteria (the value of which varies in a range, too). Syntax: SUMIF(criteria_range, criteria_value, sum_range).

The right formula for your sheet may be this one (just delete SUM from the beginning): =IF(Status1, 1, [Quoted Amount]1 + [Change Order]1), copied to all lines. 

Or, if you want to have only ONE checkbox and one cell for the sum value (for instance on the top of the sheet), this would also work (for 99 lines): =IF(Status1, SUM([Quoted Amount]1:[Change Order]99), ""). I'm not sure what kind of solution you are looking for. 

Please, keep us informed :)

Atus

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Kris,

This

=IF(Ck1 = 1, ValueA1 + ValueB1, "")

is the same as

=IF(Ck1, ValueA1 + ValueB1, "")

Craig

This discussion has been closed.