Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

conditional on children function

Options
Bill Brandt
Bill Brandt ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I am using this =COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "Y") + " Bidding" which returns the number of contractors bidding. I would like to change the font color depending on a range of values that the "count" returns. I can get the zero value easy enough but I wiuld rather not enter a conditional statement for every possible numerical value but rather a "> X" or ">X < Y" and such.

Comments

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/23/16
    Options

Dear Bill,

Use Conditional Formatting (on left side bar). You can set many different criteria with ranges. 

- If you have less then 10 bidders (I don't think so), you can simply set a criteria like "if count is between '2 Bidding' and '4 Bidding'..." - it works, but cannot handle two or more digit numbers (e.g. 333 Bidding will be between 2 and 4, because it checks alphabetical and not numeric order). 

- Otherwise you should have a new column (which you may hide later) with another formula placed in the parent rows: =COUNTIF(CHILDREN(Count10), "Y") - it will give a number, not a text, counting the "Y"s under the 10th (parent) line in "Count" column. Then you can have many rules in Conditional Formatting based on the values in the new column, and setting the format of  "Count" column. 

i hope it helps.

Atus

This discussion has been closed.