Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Graphical display of the indent level

Options

One feature I really feel the need of is the possibility to have graphical display of the indent level of the rows.

Since I'm working with big files of data, sometimes I don't have the father row and the children ones (which have been indented) on screen, but I have to scroll the sheet. When working with multiple levels of indented rows this can lead to some mistakes, since I have to check the that the rows are aligned on the same level of indent, with the risk of having some data hidden within a lower level of indented rows.

The possibility of having a graphical display of the indent level of the rows would be really appreciated, like an arrow starting vertically from the father row and pointing horizontally at each child row.

Thanks for your attention.

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Edward,

Do you mean something like this?

Or something else?

Craig

SS_Heirarchy.jpg

• Edward Johnston
    edited 03/03/16
    Options

Yes, I came up with a similar solution, though it's still something that the team I'm working with and I have to implement manually, with a risk of making mistakes. But yeah, I was suggesting an enhancement for Smartsheet to get automatically something similar to what you proposed.

Thanks Craig.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It is fairly simple to check for whether a row is 

a parent or a child

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN())>0,"p","c")

Getting the levels in between can be tricky.

If the text has a naming standard for the various levels, it is easier.

There's another recent thread that has some examples.

Once you know that, then adding the arrows is a simple matter.

Craig

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

Sounds like you are looking for a graphical work breakdown structure (WBS). A request for a WBS is something we hear fairly often and I know our Product team is looking into it. I will submit your vote for it! 

• Thank you for the tip Craig.

That's it Travis. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.