If Match Check Box

How do I write a formula to check a box next to an ID Number if that same ID Number is also present in another column?  So Column 1 is ID Number to complete and Column 2 is ID Number completed list.  Thanks in advance!

Tags:

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You could try something along the lines of...

=IF(COUNTIFS([Column 2]:[Column 2], [Column 1]@row) > 0, 1)

This will count how many times the ID number in Column 1 in whatever row the formula is in shows up in Column 2. If it shows up at all, it will check the box.

thinkspi.com

• Thank you Paul.  I tried that and it's not checking boxes although I know I have matching numbers within the two columns. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Summer,

Can you share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? That would make it easier to help. (share too, [email protected])

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Quick question... Are either Column1 or Column2 the Primary column? If not... Are the numbers for one column on the right and the numbers for the other column on the left? SS Sometimes stores what looks like numbers as actually a text string that just represents numbers. Text strings are automatically formatted to be left aligned while actual numbers are aligned to the right.

This may be the key as to why things aren't working because the formula I provided above SHOULD work.

thinkspi.com

• @Paul Newcome You're formula worked, I've been looking at this for hours trying to figure it out. Such a simple formula even referencing a sheet range.

Thank you!

Melissa

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@MCaputo Happy to help. 👍️

thinkspi.com