Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Tags (possible feature request)

Options

Comments

• teju_sanghavi
    Options

Please add my vote too. 

JIRA has a great implementation of this feature. Basically tags needs to be a separate object, and user can add a Tags column to any sheet. When user starts typing the tag in the Tags column, a dropdown should show all existing tags that match the typed characters, and user should be able to select multiple options. Finally user should be able to filter tasks by tags. 

• chopwood16116
    Options

Please add my vote as well

• gfeliz16471
    Options

Yes yes, please add my vote as well

• mslates
    Options

Please add my vote!

• I totally agree with Stian. 

The lack of this kind of feature is the reason why my team asks for leaving smartsheet for another solution more user friendly. 

The request is:

having a field type "tag" ( linked to the sheet or to the file ( it could be a good way for a team))

In tag fields, when you type in the cell, you are proposed some existing tags ( and you can select them) or you are proposed to write a new one.

When you selected a tag, you can add another tag, and another,...

As far as Smartsheet doesn't deal with inter-sheets real connection, it could be a good way 

Please, listen to your customer, it's hard being an ambassador of your product if it doesn't comply with what is now regarded as basic features.

• rock40926
    Options

+1 for this feature

• Patricia66
    Options

+1 for me too. this is a common way for how people think - need flexibility for multiple categories.   would also be great feature for a flexible learning system, bc you dont need to know a priori what your tags will be, you can sort on whatever tags you end up with.   In trying to find a work around I can disambiguate a comma delimited column into multiple columns (done), and hopefully then figure out what my unique tags are (how?), so that I can make search/lookup strings related to my unique tags (how). IFF i mange this - it's still hecka cumbersome    

• Bjenman
    Options

Any update on this? Tags becoming essential - how do we know if it's a planned feature and when it will be released?

• Tobi2563
    Options

I can only confirm the importance of tags!

In our corporation (>250k employees worldwide) we've made a great step forward by organizing file storage no longer in hierarchical, complex folders in which users get lost - but based on tags and a cloud based solution.

Now, as our employees have understood the advantages of tagging, they can hardly believe that they cannot use it in Smartsheet...

Please let us know about the progress.

Thanks

• Cliff Mayo
    Options

Tags definitely need to be a new feature for helping to categorize, sort, and filter workflows. We can do a very kludgy and clumsy workaround using the multiple contacts right now, but it is far from ideal.

Even if a Tags system were a simple copy/paste of the Contact List code (without the emails as they are irrelevant), that would be acceptable.

• GilN
    GilN ✭✭
    Options

+1 for this feature. It's incredibly important! Please and thanks.

• Trina Nydam
    Options

Add my vote! Thanks. Trying to work around the lack of feature right now.

• Martin F
    Options

New to Smartsheet, so please correct me if this is now done.

I want to use Smartsheet for product management.  I want to identify which projects depend on which features.  I don't want a checkbox column for each project because that is cumbersome and inflexible.  I want a multi-select dropdown box, so I can record the dependencies in one place.

I see this feature a critical for our organisation's use of Smartsheet.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Martin,

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment, but it's a great idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

As a workaround, you might use the multiple contacts feature.

Would that help/work?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Sedroc
    Options

+1 for this feature! Tags are the wave of the future! Tags would allow us to dramatically reduce our column count.

This discussion has been closed.