Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

hyperlink to an address on our network

Vince Preater
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Is there any way of using an hyperlink to an address on our network. Possibly a third party app?

Comments

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Do you mean for a UNC path? If so, no, and this has been a sore spot for our uses. What you CAN do is have the UNC path in quotations (such as if you've used th right click > "Copy as path" function) in the cell, and when you use the Send Row function, the hyperlink will work in the body of the email notification the recipient receives (at least it does in Outlook). Not sure if this helps you but it's how we've worked around it as the reason we wanted a clickable hyperlink is to share a specific document - in our business we're discouraged from shared the documents themselves as attachments for concerns over security and version control, so we need the shared drive path instead. Now, instead of asking a business partner to open the sheet, we send the row(s) to them.

• Hi Jaye

Thank you for getting back to me. I have tried to use the method in which you have described and just to clarify that ive not got it wrong I have put the path

"\\servername\sharename\path\filename"

in quotations and sent to an email using the send row function. I get the email but cant open the link. Please can you let me know if i've followed your instructions correctly and what could be the problem. Thank you once again for your help.

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When I click on this link, the document opens with no issues other than receiving the "You should only open attachments from a trustworthy source" alert.

What, if anything, does yours say when you click on the link?

3-15-2016 2-51-55 PM.png

3-15-2016 3-01-35 PM.png

• Hi Jaye

This is what i'm seeing, i've included the error message that im receiving. I guess this may be something to do with the security on our network. I have a meeting with I.T. this afternoon so i'll bring it up with them.

I hope you can help and thank you once again for your help.

Smartsheet.png

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Vince, regretfully I've not had that error so I'm not sure where it comes from nor how to avoid it!

Anyone else reading this know how to help?

This discussion has been closed.