Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Smartsheet Forum Navigation-Back to View

Stan Adell
Stan Adell ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

As I started using this forum I was frustrated when opening a discussion and wasn't able to go back to my place in a long list on possibly multiple pages. Since there is no back button if you hit the delete/backspace key you will be returned to your previous view.

Comments

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Was frustrated with this too, but to work around it I ended up saving the Community page as a bookmark and using it to search the forums instead of navigating to it via your Smartsheet account page in the Help bar.

Hope that helps!

• Good suggestion, Jaye.Cool

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Stan - I appreciate the feedback but could you provide a little more information about the issue?

When I am anywhere in the Community, I can hit my browsers back button to return the previous page - does this work for you?

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Travis - sorry to butt in but thought I could share my experience in the event it's different from Stan's. I get the issue when I view the Community by clicking on the Help dropdown within my Smartsheet homepage - 

I'm using Chrome as you can see, not sure if that matters.

3-15-2016 6-23-38 PM.png

3-15-2016 6-24-45 PM.png

• Sure, Travis.

When entering the Community from the Smartsheet Help menu, a new window opens for every discussion you view. There is no navigation back button to go back to your previous post so you end up with a lot of open orphan windows and have to go back to the main discussion/home page. It can waste a lot of time if you were several pages deep. The backspace or opening in a new browser window make it easier. Also, it is confusing because the discussion window says to login when you are already logged in. 

SmartsheetCommunityNavigation.jpg

• Jaye read my mind and just replied the same details Laughing I am also using Chrome, but is the same in Safari.

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Thanks - I understand now. This did not occur to me because I don't access the Community through that button, I use a bookmark. 

It looks like all the resources under Help open a new window without navigation buttons. I will talk with my team to see if we can change that.

In the meantime, I would create a bookmark for the Community or just start typing "co" into your URL bar - if you have recently visited the Community, your browser should auto resolve the URL.

Also, you can still right click in the window and select Back, Forward, Reload, etc. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Related to this, here's my workflow. I usually use Chrome.

Open the community from this link:

https://community.smartsheet.com/

Scroll to the last read message, if that requires using the # buttons at the bottom, I do that.

Click on the title of the message, which takes me to the particular message thread.

Read it. If I have no comments, follow it (like some of the comments)

Hit back arrow. Twice if I left a comment. The first goes back to the uncommented version, the next back to the thread listing.

If I am at the first thread of a set of 10, I hit refresh to make sure noone added a new thread while I was working my way through the set of 10.

Finish the thread, hit back arrow again to go back to the next set of 10, if applicable.

Repeat until I am caught up.

Thanks.

And thanks for the forum - it is WAY better than the ones used by the two others I frequent. Don't get me started on them.

Craig

I would like

NEXT/PREVIOUS threads buttons/arrows,

UNREAD threads (I keep up to date with the "follow function", but others may also want an UNREAD comments function too)

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the tips Craig - I never even noticed the follow discusion. Must be blind!

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

We tend to often see what we are looking for, not what is there.

Craig

• Travis
    Travis Employee

"We tend to often see what we are looking for, not what is there."

-Craig

I need to start tracking Craig's quotes. 

I agree NEXT/PREVIOUS buttons and UNREAD indicators would be useful. We are working to get a couple new features implemented here in the next couple weeks which should make it easier to find what you are looking for and to stay up to date on top posts Laughing

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

LOL.

I'll make sure to add that one to the book. 

Or make a sign and post on LinkedIn.

Yep, going to do that right now.

Craig

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Craig, I wish that was something I could endorse you for! Wink

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Jaye - ? - which one?

The image is posted.

Required me to:

1. Download GIMP (new computer, first need)

2. Relearn GIMP basics (been a while)

3. Peruse this site http://www.optical-illusionist.com/ for a while. 

Now where did that hour go? Luckily, I'm off the clock.

Craig

• Tim McCarthy
    Tim McCarthy ✭✭✭✭✭

Travis,

I now use the "right-click" and BACK method -- it works great! Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.