Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Prevent deletion of rows if it contains locked cells?

Options
124»

Comments

• treynolds
    Options

To add to this conversation, can we also limit the ability to move rows around as well? We have a lot of hands in our system and there is no way for me to protect all of the information. I am currently running through a sheet of 2000 rows and re-organizing all of the data because rows were accidently moved around and they must be in order for the processes to work.  Only issue is, I don't know which lines were moved around and which formulas are no longer valid.  So instead I am spending hours babysitting the system. 

SS was supposed to be helping our company be more efficient, and instead it is pulling away hours of time just to ensure that no information is missing from our very large sheets.  This is a fix that must be done! 

• Hector Aguirre
    Options

Please my vote for this functionality. Urgent!!

• Nwood1982
    Options

I'm going to also add my +1 to the request for a new user type "Editor - cannot share or delete" (or similar).

If instead there is a way to lock down rows to Admin, Owner and a person/Editor listed in a Contact List cell, that would be great to know about as well.

• Garmon D
    Garmon D ✭✭✭
    Options

A plus one from me as well! It's frustrating that we're still waiting for a solution to this....

• llmu92
    Options

Please add my vote as well. We just had a bunch of rows inadvertently deleted by an team member. I had to upgrade my account for $260 just to get the activity log, and still have no ability to restore a previous version of the sheet.

This has been a terrible experience, and I definitely did not realize we would have to manually reenter all of this information. I cannot believe this feature or the feature to restore a previous version of the sheet does not exist yet. These items should be a major priority. But given how long this thread has been going, I won't hold my breath.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/16/18
    Options

Hi,

If you haven't, I would recommend that you contact the Smartsheet Support Team because they might be able to help you.

Hi Michelle,

It's possible that the Support Team could get you an Excel export of your sheet prior to the Sort. If you submit a ticket, we'd be happy to see if one is available. Just be sure to let us know the name of the sheet an the approximate time that the sort took place. 

I should note that the exports only contain the Grid Data and Comments but don't include any Attachments on the rows. 

https://help.smartsheet.com/contact

Thanks!

Ian

Smartsheet Support

I hope this helps you!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Katie Williams
    Katie Williams ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Still waiting for this fix...

• Nwood1982
    Options

I don't know if this will work for all, but the work-around we used was to have the users work in reports. Reports, while bi-directional, don't allow for deletion of the row. They could delete all information in said row, but the cell history is still there.

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nwood1982,

Reports are a 'process' option, but they don't solve the underlying problem.  They create an extra layer of work for maintenance, don't offer the organizational features of a sheet, and the people can't edit the rows until they are shared as editors to the underlying sheets - which we are trying to protect.

This is a 3 year old problem that has serious implications, but is still being put-off while SS implements new software integrations and flashy baubles.

Please, Smartsheet, fix this.

• Nwood1982
    Options

I'm well aware that it's no more than a work-around, but thought it was a work-around that may work for some. In any case, I agree. Fix it!

• Smartsheet Admin - could you at least explain why a Smartsheet cannot have a feature that will not allow rows to be deleted by users below Owner or Admin level?  Or why if a column is locked, "delete" can't be grayed out for users below Owner or Admin level? I'm no code writer but I don't understand why this is so difficult? Thank you.

• ksmith87961
    Options

Please add my vote!! 

I can't believe this hasn't been addressed yet. It's a huge drawback to using Smartsheet if the data is not secured, and setting up reports is a workaround that causes more work, when the idea of using this tool is to automate/simplify as much as possible.  Come on guys -- why is this not at the top of your road map to fix?  I agree with previous comments -- programatically, this shouldn't be that hard and would have a huge impact. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi everyone,

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment to have your vote added

A New Way to Submit Your Feature Requests

To make your Enhancement / Feature Request count, send in the form above because there isn’t a guarantee, it will be registered otherwise.

Original Post: https://community.smartsheet.com/announcement/new-way-submit-your-feature-requests

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I have submitted my request through the link above.  For most users data integrity must be paramount and this a gaping hole that was exposed over two years ago.  There must be a way to allow editors to modify cells without being able to modify the structure of the table.  

Any update on the roadmap?

This discussion has been closed.