Gantt - Progress Ahead or Behind Schedule?

Chris_Bick
Chris_Bick ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hi All

I'm keen to look into options to report on project progress against schedule.

Generally we set a project programme, then progressively update %Complete against lines and the project progresses.

The progress bar works well as visually indicating if each activity is ahead or behind the current date.

I'm looking to try to measure this progress.   (ie, 10 days ahead......or 6 Days behind)

In the attached programme, the project is indicating its approx 6 to 7 mths ahead of programmme.  How can i get a column to automatically tell me how many working days ahead?

Thanks!

Annotation 2019-04-11 114244.png

Comments

• IanN
    IanN Employee

Hi Chris,

What you're describing sounds like Baseline functionality and while Smartsheet doesn't currently have this built-in, you can mimic the functionality with a few additional columns. I recommend checking out our Blog post here: https://www.smartsheet.com/blog/quick-guide-mimicking-baseline-functionality-smartsheet

There are also a number of Posts here on the Community that go over Baseline, so you might look for those too. 

Hope that helps!

Ian

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/12/19

I use a similar idea to the one in Ian's link. I don't often use dependency settings because of various restrictions, but I do use Projected vs. Actual for date columns. 

I then build out a chart with dates going down two columns (usually the Monday and Friday of each week). I'll use a COUNTIFS to find out how many tasks' projected dates fall within each week and another for the actuals.

I can then use a Chart Widget on a dashboard to map out our projected vs actual percentages as the project moves along.

Having the table built also allows me to determine how many tasks are ahead of schedule, on track, or behind for each of the "owners".

Comm.PNG

• @IanN - I'm looking for some baseline functionality and noticed your link but it doesn't take me to a blog. Can you perhaps confirm where I can have a look at this.

• Peter Graham
    Peter Graham ✭✭
    edited 07/17/20

@Paul Newcome - Can you please share info on your Baseline method and chart above? The first link doesn't work and I'm keen to start tracking project against a baseline.

Thanks

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Peter Graham I have 4 columns in my Project Plan. Baseline Start and Finish and Actual Start and Finish.

I then add in 4 more helper columns. Two date type and two text/number type.

In the date type I have the Monday and Friday dates.

In the first text/number I use a COUNTIFS that counts how many tasks have PROJECTED dates for each week.

In the second text/number I use a COUNTIFS to count how many tasks have an ACTUAL finish date for each week.

I then use a Chart Widget on a dashboard to graph the two.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!