Paste transpose

Options
Trym Dahl
Trym Dahl
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi,

Is there a way to "flip" a sheet keeping links so that cloms become rows and rows become columns?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/11/19
    Options

Hi Trym,

Unfortunately, as far as I know, it's not possible at the moment, but it's a great idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

A possible workaround might be to use Excel or similar.

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What is the purpose for this? do you want to keep the original sheet? How large is the sheet? If the sheet isn't crazy big you can do this with just 2 index formulas

That said I highly recommend against this. Smartsheet is organized by data type, which is dependent on columns. The only way transposing a sheet could possibly work is if every column was the same data type, and then you would drastically restrict what you can do with the information. Also as rows are added for the original, columns would have to be added for the new set.  

If you are interested in a solution, why not post a snap of your sheet so we can help you develop what you need.

• Mary Ambrose
    Options

The reason for doing this is to prep data collected in a Smartsheet to be read more easily into an analysis tool. You cannot do anything but simple analysis in this tool, but if you want to deep dive on tickets, etc. You need to be able to read the data into a tool in a more normalized design. Transpose would allow you to do this quickly.

Also - can you provide an example of the 2 Index Formulas?